Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: BIG DOVETAIL

Nice restoration, beautiful point.

That's a real beaut. How much range do they have in Texas?

I'm going to go with Beveled St. Charles on this blade. Turner and Hester give a Texas distribution for the St. Charles Type as far East Texas with distribution of the type covering the mid-western and south-eastern USA. The Beveled St. Charles type is centered in North Carolina and becomes less common as you move westward. In Dad's notes he said that he didn't think the blade was local in origin. There were other smaller St. Charles blades in his collection but none of them were beveled. Was there a trade network between the East Coast and the Texas coast eight to nine thousand years ago ?

It's a new type that Dr. Hester ID'ed in his latest book, you've got a very valuable, rare point & you're very fortunate to ahve it.

I've seen them listed as midwestern and south eastern points before, and thought it might be out of it's normal range. Still, during Paleo and archaic times, there had to be trade and free ranging. It's still a real beauty of a point.

WOW, what a treasure, and a story...from the broken bucket !

Googled 41FB249, lots of good info, not all related to this type, lots of data re Clovis in TX.
I got no meaningfull input on actual ID BUT....ANY typical dart point that is so oversized I personally think was exclusively meant as a BLADE ( possible exception being ceremonial )...Out of locality beveling possibly the knappers way of resharpening ? ( rather than the original configuration )..

Check them other buckets Red