Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
"Eagle Lake" New Type by Whom?

I bought a newly typed "Eagle Lake" point according to Bill Arnold & I asked him what the characteristic's are of the point like age, locations found & when it was named a new type & by whom.
I've not heard back from Bill about this point 7 wonder if anyone else has info about it they can share?

photo EagleLake_zps26e1e86f.jpg

Re: "Eagle Lake" New Type by Whom?

You may be interested in Dr. Hestor's-Turners book. "A field guide to stone artifacts of Texas Indians". I hope you find it good reading. Turner and Hester offer an in-depth look at over 200 typical Texas projectile points. Your Eagle Lake is recently typed as are several others. Hope this helps.I really like your point. The flaking is awesome. It has Darl characteristics but is older.

Not much help here, I dont think I have heard of it. I didn't find it in DrH's book. Are we sure it's a Texas found point ?

There is quite a bit of renaming / reclassifing going on ( best example "archaic blades )...
While looking for the Eagle I stumbled across the "Evant", looks very much like the long stemmed Wells.
A LOT of "Wells" are found at C3 but I see the range of the Evant is at the South fenceline of C3. The Wells ranges from the North fence to the NE into Ark..

IF the Eagle is "newly typed "...What may it have been called before ??

Points found in an archaeological site which has been scientifically excavated are the only valid types. The first person to name and PUBLISH a point type creates the only name that the type should be called. A type is always driven by cultural association at a specific time and place. Generally, those with only one or two references are considered conditional types and need archeological proofs for their certainty.
Has anyone seen anything in the archaeological literature on the Eagle Lake type........or the San Jacinto ?

Good call. Too many collectors and sellers of artifacts are creating point classifications for their own purposes. Refer to Dr. Hester's book to assist in the identification your finds, and use Overstreet to look at the pretty pictures, but nothing more.