Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Trail Trees

found this really interesting..

http://www.fishgame.com/webnews.php?p=16436#.UQazqB2YusM

attached a picture of mine... per the old land owner before us, there was a watering hole on our ranch where they would stop on the way from Bastrop to La Grange... You can travel down 153 and see parts of the old road..

my tree points strait at La Grange....

.....in the area of this tree... is where we find most of our arrowheads..

thanks for looking....

Chris

Re: Trail Trees

That is a wives tale like making arrowheads with cold water on heated flint. While there may be a few exceptions out there, 99 percent of this is coincidence at best. The tree in your picture couldn't be anywhere near 100 years old. Some person may have purposely made the tree point towards town, it wasn't an Indian marking special trails. This is just my opinion, I don't mean to be rude or discouraging.

Interesting subject, hadn't thought much on the details ,,,til now. The bent marker seems a reality accepted by the academics but the kicker is
how did such a feature come to be.. ?
On a slow growing tree, the tie down must have been very heavy AND permanent to hold that position over the many yrs it takes to set a new growth direction.

The sapling must have been small enough for a couple of people to hold over....that means fairly young....would a young bent over plant continue to grow straight out in the desired direction or force it to send new growth
straight up towards the sun ?

On the tree in the pic , any sign of very old scars from vertical branches being trimmed ?

Kinda cute.. that tree direction marker expert in the reference is from Chicago....Thats reasonable, hundreds of visitors need to know how to find the loop or Navy Pier !

In the end, this is your marker tree so You can call it what you like

Tks for the look.

I was always amused by the "Indian Marker Trees on my Lady's place near Cripple Creek, Colorado. Local legend said the trees were bent to indicate the way to Pikes' Peak................like the Indians had trouble finding that big old mountain.
There are several societies around the country who document and age such trees with age being the first consideration. If a tree is on your property you can call it what ever you want.

it could be a wives tale.. but its something neat to tell the kids!

photo westwardbenttree.jpg

photo signtree2.jpg

A tree on my place near Lake B in Burnet county that I believe points towards the Colorado river.You can see it actually grows downward.Don't see how that could be natural.

Here's a very old oak tree with limbs growing downwards and even touching the ground. It's in the top of an Indian mound pointing the wrong way too the nearest water source. Nature can do funny things too plants given time and the right conditions.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Here's some more gasoline for the ( fire )

Google " DROOPING LIMBS OAK TREES "

Ice storms, high winds and really heavy birds

http://www.centraltexastreecare.com/indian-sign-trees..... in my photo that is the tree! Thats not a limb,thats the trunk of the tree.Would'nt want to be sitting under it enjoying a cold beverage with birds that big! Regardless its an intresting topic!