Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Saturday Oregon surface hunt

Went out with a new friend and found some birdies for my frame.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Re: Saturday Oregon surface hunt

Had to move up to a bigger frame to fit my pnw stuff.

Nice find,an Obsidian point has been one of my all time favorites!

Great collections ( and memories ) are built one field trip at a time.
Thats neat the way the bottom insitu shows the outline.
I made a try at an ID, 'High River ' & ' *** Back ' look close but almost no examples are as nicely serated as yours.

Does obsidian make it's way along the drainages like flint or would it have to be chipped out of the volcanic location ?

Very good show

It's interesting about the material. Obsidian is apparently found nearby but in very small pieces. We saw debitage from different color Jasper's and even some green jade. It's pretty rare to find anything over a couple inches but if you do it's usually agate material that can be found all over in larger sizes.

A friend living in Vancouver BC gave me a piece of Canadian Jade...about 2 X 6 inches, would be a gorgeous base tang !
You ought to see what they are making out of it today...
Google CANADIAN JADE.
Re Obsidian...Googled: OREGON OBSIDION....WOW, neato...There's a national park one can visit an Obsidion structure.
AND an Obsidion PAY DIG SITE !...Must use a glass cutter instead of a wiggle pick !

very cool to see points and material from far away locations. very nice. keep em' coming

Thanks guys, it has been nice meeting new people here that have been so helpful. Our group is having the 1rst annual north west artifact show in about a month. I will take pictures of the goods. Here is a picture of the last two months of finds from my new buddy I went hunting with. He really killed it when we went, found the two longer birds( red and black) at 11 an 10 o'clock that day first two points. Takes a good eye and I'm still working on it.

A very good "friends" finds frame. Thats a lot of history. Just occured to me looking at All the finds you have posted, they are pretty well ALL arrow points. Surely the ancients appreciated the ultra sharp value of obsidion...Where are all the knives / tools used for cleaning the OVER ABUNDANCE of fish & game in the NW ?

What city is the show in .? Thats going to be a winner with a large number of collectors showing..

Man Gtown, I am jealous. I love that obsidian flint. I actually bought a few obsidian birdies last year at the Temple show from one of Dwain's buddies that came from the El Paso - New Mexico area. Looks like you have a pretty good spot to hunt. Keep the pics coming, I enjoy seeing them. Good luck on your hunting!

I spent a lot of time in Canada,some of the most beautiful country in North America,and spent many hours searching rivers,streams,etc before realizing why I was not finding artifacts.Most of that country was under several feet of Ice when cultures were busy making camps here in the warmer climates. Maybe this is why you may find only birdies or later projectiles.