Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Trade pipes & accessories

Here's a pic relative to this "pipe" topic:
This was part of the display on the 2nd table at the Collinsville ( Illinois ) artifact show. I soon found that almost EVERYBODY ( except me ) had a pipe or two on display, there must have been hundreds of all ilks & ages...

photo DSCF8172_zpse24d30e3.jpg

Red, you might check into displaying at next years' show.....I did NOT see one single Bird pipe like your collection..

i have found peices of clay pipe in mounds that put out primarily perds so i wonder how it is that somthing so much younger could end up in a mound that is so old just a question to get your mind bending

There are any number of explanations for how 150- 200 year old clay trade pipes could be found in the same "mound" as 2000-6000 year old Pedernales points. I wouldn't think they were being found at the same level but I know nothing about your site or the circumstances so I can't give you an opinion. We see a similar situation with the so-called Comanche points............collectors found Pedernales points on the site of a known historical Comanche campground and assumed the Comanches made them even through the Comanches didn't show up in Texas until the 1700's. The site we dig here on the farm is sandy soil with no stratification and all of the artifacts are right down against the clay layer. A combination of burrowing animals, gravity, and the elements results in square iron nails from the 1800's being found along side Paleo points. Another possibility is that your broken clay pipes are not trade pipes but something Indian made and much older.