Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
What do ya'll make of these?

I am trying to get a better understanding of my site... what do ya'll think of these? I know they are broke but the flaking is really distinctive. Any idea of what culture made these?

photo IMAG0510_BURST004_zpsad694d25.jpg

Also, would this be considered a scribe?

photo IMAG0513_zpscc751d68.jpg

I am really intrigued by this one... thoughts?

photo IMAG0508_BURST002_zps84c9a0a5.jpg

Last one, do ya'll think this was an Andice? if so, this is the only one I have found on my place.

photo IMAG0509_zpsac184b13.jpg

All found on the surface in Karnes County.

Re: What do ya'll make of these?

Only braver viewers than me could put a name to the top pic row of pts...
BUT most would agree that that beautiful colateral flaking is at least Early Archaic in time frame ( roughly 8000 + BP )
Most seem quite narrow, the very common Angostura comes to mind but not all are that consistant fine flaking...Maybe something less common like Edens or Allen.
Dont care for a purpose made perforator...not enough evident secondary flaking.....
That does indeed look like an earless worked down Andice.

Old is good and those pieces are top quality old

Since those were on the near surface for so many years, maybe there is another indicator that will show up and mark a small camp. . . . > heat discolored
hearth rocks.
We all wish you the best of luck finding a complete point so we can confirm who was living down there before real estate prices soared !

Oblique Transverse. Late Paleo some of which exhibit suburb collateral flaking. I agree with Hal. Hope you find a whole one. Need a base to get a better idea. Great posting!

I agree, late/transitional paleo camp. I see alot of that flaking on my lease. I'd pop a DEEEP hole if I were you! Good looking stuff, congrats on your finds and good luck.

Thanks for the replies. I have found a couple full OLD points (ango and plainview drill) and tons of newer stuff. I have posted these bases before but I will post again since the question was asked. These do not have the same quality of flaking as the tips and middles I have found so I am not sure if they are related. All are ground.

For digging I don't think I would do that good, this site is spread out over about 30-50 acres. Also, there is only about a foot of soil before the caliche hardpan (which is exposed in many places). There was/is a ton of erosion.

photo IMAG0514_zps0b6e7a06.jpg

photo IMAG0516_BURST009_zps94790661.jpg

Collectively, thats a LOT of paleo age points in a smallish area.
Must have been something interesting going on at that exact spot, a spring now dried up, buffalo jump ( major game processing area ) or something good to keep them there.
Your finding these points on the surface in the 21st century. . . . . . How far down stream are the artifacts from the preceeding 69 centuries ?

Tks for the show, Keep !

I think they hung around there for so many years because of the view. I have found everything from paleo to birdies in the same washout. Most of the surrounding area is pretty flat and we have a ridge that runs through our place. The rise is about 70 feet or so and you can see for miles. About a quarter mile is a small creek which feed into the Cibolo (about a mile away). From the ridge you Can see about 2 miles of the small creek and about 3-4 miles of the Cibolo. Also, my place is not that far from the WCSP.

My friends I grew up with in the same area all have points on their places also but not nearly as many. Never really though about digging for them till the last year or so. Wish I would of though about digging when I was in high school...probably would have never graduated. We also never dug because there is a lot on the surface. However, the only really old stuff came from my property probably because of the amount of erosion, still deeply buried on the other places.

Thats it !!. . . . . . A lookout on high ground was an attraction to all ancient people. I've been on several really mean looking hills around Amistad
that had no possibility of a camp ground...but there was plenty of flint flakes. ( points long gone from earlier surfacers in the 18 hundreds ! )

You have my attention. . . . > " paleo to birdies in the same washout "
That could be a goldmine almost as rich as some camps..no matter how humble.
Hands & knees & basic scratching tools...get right down to bedrock...if you do
try it, do a long area, dont lose hope with just a small " test hole "

We've had brillient success with several "washouts"...To see, type in DRYWASH in search block above...especially " DRYWASH 6 & 7 -11 "
be sure to hit " VIEW ENTIRE THREAD "

In case your too old & frail and cant get out of your to do a proper test dig I'll offer to do it for you absolutely free, no charge.

Sure, I would like to have you out one weekend but I am pretty booked up... wife is going to have a baby in a couple months and it is fishing season.

I only live about 30 minutes so I head over there when I have a couple hours to kill. Around Christmas I had a guy from here (Scott A) come out. We dug for a while with no success but found a good amount on the surface. When I know I will have a free day or two I will contact you to see if you can make it out.