Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Fossil

Bottom line...I have no idea.
Is it really "heavy" as a fossil might be ? or just a very old bone ?

Struck me as a foot /hoof or flipper bone that could be from mammal or fish.

Googled " PORPOISE SKELETON"....if the same order of finds occur on everyone's PC...the very first top option has HUNDREDS of pictures.
The "hands" at the end of the Porpoises' pectoral fins is similar..
But a lot of creatures have small bones at their extremities...like the
DESMOSTYLIA that I had never even heard of before.

Sargents Beach is not that far from where all the Clovis points were found..
Any fleshing cut marks on your find ?

It's fossilized. Like a rock in weight. I find fossils there but this is the best so far.

The short pastern ( wrist ) bone from a horse. I couldn't say what species. There are at least four species of extinct horses in Texas or it might be from a modern horse.....they've been here in Texas for five hundred years

You can throw out Modern Horse. This bone is now rock. I don't disagree on horse. Just not modern horse. Anyone know a fossil hound?

flintpig
Anyone know a fossil hound?

Doctor Red has had a good record as a " fossil hound" in the past, if his evaluation of horse is correct, you may have to go one step up ( to a professor ) to identify age & species..
Contact the paleontologic departments of A&M or UT. UT Austin used to have
"identification days" at various public events ... They encourage people to bring in their finds for ID as they might get to see finds that are of interest to them ( like a complete Mosasoar skeleton )

Thanks Dr. Red. Pastern it is then. I was guessing Camel or horse just didn't know where the bone was located. We assume it was a foot bone from one of them. We have numerous bones in different states of fossilization. Hoping to find some flint artifacts down there. No luck yet. If nothing else, it's a good way to spend the day. I'll post some fossils pics when I get some time. Maybe I can get some info on them too. Thanks again Redman.