Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Spherical riverine stones

I've been picking up round rocks in indian camps for sixty years. Here are some possibilities for uses of such. Three of them strung together produces a bolo, two of them incorporated into an oak handle makes a handy head-knocker and a small one mounted on a handle makes a effective drum stick. Anthropologists agree that man's first musical instrument was probably of a percussion type and may have been anything from banging two rocks together to beating on a hollow log with a club. There is no way to know if Clovis man made and used drums but if he did I kind of like to believe that it may have looked like this.

Bolos photo DSCN0587.jpg

War club photo DSCN0586.jpg

Raven drum photo DSCN0585.jpg

Mammoth drum photo DSCN0584.jpg

Re: Spherical riverine stones

I see them all the time but I never pick them up... I always figure they threw them from a sling for small game like rabbits.

Re: Spherical riverine stones

Good thinking Red, Like "drills"..."game ball" definition doesn't necessarily mean they were used for one purpose, like exclusively for a game.

I like the drum & head thumper concept. As good a weapon as the Bolo is thats my last choice for most parts of TX. Restrictive vegetation ( tall brush )would severely limit it's use.

neat pics, Tks