Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
NO FLINT

Flinters dont waste your time on this post, it's just general interest.

I just unearthed half a 5 gallon bucket of "rock" that I had set aside in the shed 10 years ago..

photo DSCF8630_zps8bdff891.jpg

I decided to belatedly process the material, mainly to free up the bucket for other use ! This posting will be in several installments as the cleaning unfolds.

The subject, Grey colored Eagle Ford Contact material. To see EXACTLY where this comes from...back to front page..4th row of icons up from bottom...open " SHARK TEETH TRIPS" ( note a very young Badger )

photo DSCF8625_zpsa36c82d5.jpg

photo DSCF8627_zps6bd44d00.jpg

photo DSCF8628_zps0cde0867.jpg

photo DSCF8629_zps0ce87703.jpg

This is a delicate fish scale, will leave it insitu

photo DSCF8631_zps691b255c.jpg

First step to removing fossils is to soak in water ( I made a 5 gallon sized 1/4 inch mesh screen )

photo DSCF8624_zpsc2bb6cf9.jpg

Check back in a few a days

Re: NO FLINT

After days of soaking and agitation, what has gone through the 1/4 mesh is about 50% silt as fine as talcum powder.

photo DSCF8634_zpsdb566fd5.jpg

Next step is to rinse away the silt with lots of water

photo DSCF8637_zps10ca4937.jpg

Used screen window sized mesh ( many fossils can be 1/8th inch )

photo DSCF8638_zps505dc225.jpg

Flying Pterodactyl fossil ? about a 5 foot span

photo DSCF8640_zpsa02fc124.jpg

dry concentrate

photo DSCF8642_zpsc316b665.jpg

Last step will be sorting through the material

Pretty interesting looking stuff you got there. Looks like clay. I'll bet there's going to be some magnifying glass studies on the finished product, bet there's some very small bone and tooth fragments mixed in.

Final phase has arrived. Now just hours & hours of just going through the material one handfull at a time. Seperate containers for 1. teeth 2.bone/scales
3. All other ( unidentifiable sea floor debris )

photo DSCF8695_zpsf5b73a9f.jpg

Just setting this picture up I grabbed a few obvious things of interest...Biggest one is a "crusher " tooth.

photo DSCF8696_zpsfc0dac2f.jpg

Ten years ago I did the same thing but with much more material. Dont know if I want to get this involved again...

photo DSCF8698_zpsdf19fb09.jpg