Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
PURPOSE MADE KITCHEN UTENCIL

On the last dig at C3 Idahoe & I were digging about 6 feet apart. Moving ahead we both started getting clam shells in quantity at the same level....Unbroken

photo DSCF8674_zps20792c71.jpg

This came out with the shells. My first guestimate of the unusual piece was " it's a Perforator "...

photo DSCF8675_zps3b18ffff.jpg

Then the came on....it's an OYSTER KNIFE

photo DSCF8679_zps517a86ea.jpg

It's as good a deduction as finding knives ( or broken knives ) along with bones

Re: PURPOSE MADE KITCHEN UTENCIL

Very well could be Hal. Neat to find the tool and be able to actually identify it's usage.

Make's sense! Got a question, do you think there were fresh water oyster reefs here in central Tx.? I have read articles stating there was some but never could find much info, if a person could find what conditions were suitable for these ancient reefs a excellent campsite might be found!!
I think there are alot of freshwater clams around. Any info appr.

sandman
Make's sense! Got a question, do you think there were fresh water oyster reefs here in central Tx.? I have read articles stating there was some but never could find much info, if a person could find what conditions were suitable for these ancient reefs a excellent campsite might be found!!
I think there are alot of freshwater clams around. Any info appr.

Thats an interesting line of thought. Strictly my own view at this time...the key words are " fresh water ". There is plenty of evidence for Salt water
Oyster beds...about mile marker 26 on Lake travis there are shells about 100 feet thick.
Somewhere I seem to remember some academic stating that there was only ONE natural lake in all of Texas. So that would indicate that there would only be relatively shallow flowing water, not the best conditions for a true "reef"

Clams & true mussels are very evident naturally but not as a concentrated reef.

Even though it's presently salt water....in support of your " find a reef, find a camp " thesis.
The Flowers garden reefs offs**** Tx in the Gulf of Mexico must have been a big hill surrounded by a flat plain back in the earliest Paleo indian days..
There should be Clovis points between the Lobsters

Well I May have beeen mislead on the freah water reefs.

Thanks Hal

Most artifact collectors are men and many work-a-day women's tools have been given macho names. Theres the "Ceremonial Dagger" with serrations on one side that was actually used for scaling fish. There's the big spearhead that was really some nice lady's mussel opening knife. Then theres the drills, that were mostly perforators and part of a woman's sewing kit. And theres the warrior's tomahawk head that was actually used by a woman to cut firewood and so on and so on.

REDMAN
Most artifact collectors are men and many work-a-day women's tools have been given macho names. Theres the "Ceremonial Dagger" with serrations on one side that was actually used for scaling fish. There's the big spearhead that was really some nice lady's mussel opening knife. Then theres the drills, that were mostly perforators and part of a woman's sewing kit. And theres the warrior's tomahawk head that was actually used by a woman to cut firewood and so on and so on.

" A woman's work is never done "
Add 'squaw knife' to the above list ( see brought forward old post )