Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Patina without Mineralization?

Just curious as to what yalls thoughts are on a piece that has true patina but lacks much, if any, mineralization and what may lead to such findings... "Patina" being used to describe the changes in color of the chert/flint that occurs over time. I know sometimes people use it to encompass "mineralization" as well, but for this discussion I am keeping them separate. Thanks for the input.

Re: Patina without Mineralization?

Solar U/V light has a huge impact on flint that has laid out on the surface for a long time, no mineral except maybe some acid rain.
I have heard some collectors note that some piece was "heat treated". Thats a very true knapping process, must have some visual "patina" effect that they can see. Thats non mineral.
My last guess is humidity. Not a true patina changer but because flint has a certain porosity the visual color will change. Classic example is just washing the dirt off a new found piece, usually best when wet and fades on drying.

So what would one think about a point that had true patina but no mineralization? Does the lack of mineralization make it a fake even though the patina is legit?

Brio
So what would one think about a point that had true patina but no mineralization? Does the lack of mineralization make it a fake even though the patina is legit?

We may be a bit lost in terminology.
"mineralisation" ( to me ) does not mean that any actual mineral is actually adhering to the flint but rather a mineral has changed the internal appearance by color or density. Same as the suns' U/V effect changes color but cannot be felt.

Flint CAN have very obvious mineralisation when first uncovered like the recent pics we have seen of iron red Points from the Starr ranch or the white
scale that forms on the underside of hard objects ( bone, manos, shells etc)
Washes off.

By definition " patina " is described as " any ornamental aura "

From the wording of your Q, sounds like you may be trying to validate a piece by it's appearance.
Beware !....Professional forgers are not only proficient knappers but are much akin to the medieval Alchemist that changed lead into gold. Every once in awhile we hear of their magical creations with heat & chemicals.

One of the top tools of the best appraisers ( for authenticity ) is a very powerful microscope. Not only can it show metal particles from a really stupid modern knapper. ( criminal, not amateur ) but the patina pattern ( or LACK of ) is very telling.