Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
40 YR OLD FLINT TIME CAPSULE OPENED

About 40 years ago I found myself in the western Sahara. A shop owner at the local Souk offered me a special deal on Arrowheads. He had a big burlap bag , the kind they ship foreign aid rice in ( about 30" H X 15" W ) 3/4 filled with
flint arrow heads. He was sheling them by the Killo ( 2.2 pounds ) for about $5. American.
Since I had zero interest in such things so I just bought 1/2 a kilo !!!

I made a small display frame then completely lost track of the rest.

Recently I found this container at the bottom of a heap of junk..

photo DSCF8691_zpsb96fecd0.jpg

To my surprise I found the arrowheads along with antique leather gunpowder flasks from Iran. Japanese Glass fish net floats ( washed up on an Alaskan Aluetians' beach. ) gold pan, Indonesian wood carving.

photo DSCF8692_zps72665350.jpg

photo DSCF8693_zps64b29585.jpg

All from the Algeria / Morocco region.

photo DSCF8694_zps487d4c40.jpg

Re: 40 YR OLD FLINT TIME CAPSULE OPENED

wow Hal, I never knew. What a cool story. Looks like a lot of the same style points. must have been a good/dependable style. If it's not top secret, what were you doing in that part of the world??

Those are some interesting "new" finds. Looks like some articles for Antique's Road Show

Hal what would be real interesting , is to find out if you can , when or what time period did they use such bird points , as American Indians used such similar bird points 1000ad and to present only because they did not have metal technology . What I know of that part of the world , they knew about metal a lot sooner than our American Indians , so is those points older then the American counter part , or about the same time period , just because they were to poor to buy them some bronze or steel to use as arrowheads . Just a thought old wise one .

I would like to purchase those floats, if you wanted to part with them. I collect them, or you can hang onto them another 25 years???

Trav, in my previous life I worked for a company that did mineral exploration....in some pretty bad places worldwide !
The majority of points DO seem to be mostly variations of a simple Vee. Now after half a century, I wish I had had the merchant dump the bag contents and see if anything special might have been in all those thousands.

Te, Not sure that a nationwide audience would be interested in modest souvenirs...I DID own one that very regrettably I sold ..A Model A pickup with dual front fender spare tires, from Watertown NY.

Cliff, Up to right now, i never put any time looking into age. They were obviously a bow and arrow missile. Europe / Africa ? had bows many THOUSANDS
of years before north America.
Assuming they were found within maybe 200 miles of Tindouf ( look it up on a map of Western Algeria )...some pretty bad territory, not sure if that location would be a magnet for much iron.

RY, floats not for sale but if we happen to meet up at some event I'll give them to you. Would not give them up so readily if they were the glass ones that were at least a foot in diameter...Plastic sure put the round glass blowers out of business !

RY.. I can tell who u are by your interest in Hals "glass balls" ... Il see u in SA....go Miami.....lol

Sure does look like ALOT of "Garzas".....too bad their not....my last name is garza and im trying to put together a Garza point mosiac for my dads office.... Temple show two authentic garzas my dad bought for $250.... WOW$$$ that could be a lot of money if you were into selling misidentified arrowheads...believe me look at eBay...most birdies on there are neolithic pretending to be something else,....

I'm surprised they are plastic being old...S Garza you have me confused with

someone. I'm a Spurs fan! I have a spa area with a nautical theme and have

found some pretty nice pieces. I'm a sucker for any Texas related history!

I'm surprised they are plastic being old...S Garza you have me confused with

someone. I'm a Spurs fan! I have a spa area with a nautical theme and have

found some pretty nice pieces. I'm a sucker for any Texas related history!

Bad phrasing on my part. They are definitely glass.
I remember seeing a couple of the larger ones I was refering to and thinking of glass being slammed around the sides of a boat in the Bering Sea.

Pretty cool Hal. It was sure nice to finally meet you, at the Temple show.