Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Banded Marcos ?

Lots of good info with simple Google search..try; COLOR OF FLINT ROCK.

Color is imparted by the nature of the surrounding sediments. Black to dark is organic coloring, red > brown > yellow, variations of iron oxide.

"clarity" is basically a function of the fineness and density of the crystaline structure. So those magnificent Nueces valley translucents are a high grade flint with just a touch of iron oxide.

Related info;; In pure geology speak, all flint is Chert...but not all Chert is flint . . . . . . Real chert is generally course and dull. Flint is shiney.
Aside from sponges, another large flint variety is DIATOMS...very small micro creatures that were swept into huge flat deposits by wave action.
For those few that are really interested in this subject....there is exactly just such a structure right at the C3 Camp 13...
When Richard dug the "test trench" that is now a major producing area, he dug far up hill....No body bothers with this area now as its poor habitation material but...at about the 2 foot down level is this sheet flint. Just look at the pieces in the throw dirt.

Flint ridge Ohio is very special....said to be 98.93 silicon dioxide. ( very high level of pure creature )

No word on banding yet

SH

No word on banding yet

The word is out
There are those that study / collect varieties of flint. As amber is reknown in the Baltic area so the banded flint of Poland is unique. Also high on the honerable mention list is Flint Ridge Ohio and Alibates quarry TX.

Complete identifiable inclusions in flint is very common, the banding itself is not the design of the creature...
Think of the best banded flint once being the consistency of toothpaste, slightly different densities will gel harder than the rest, and Like paint, outer areas will skim over first then subsequent movement will blend this into the main body...

The holy grail of flintery might be a complete Mossasaur in flint

Thanks for all the great information. I just hope after I have been digging for 30+ yrs I know half as much as you do my friend,

Chuck
I just hope after I have been digging for 30+ yrs I know half as much as you do my friend,

Nice comment, so why do I keep thinking " I didn't know that "

This review of flint has been a neat summary of whats involved when we admire a new find...

One of my favorites of the banding catagory is the few points found at the Juno site...Terrific contrast of pure white and gray/black

photo DSCF8396_zps7114ace1.jpg

How's this for color...? Found by Eric at Comstock 7 / 21

photo DSCF8884_zpscf334aac.jpg

That is freaking awsome !!! I like it.