Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: (Non Arrowhead) Metal detecting finds from old 1800's house

Interesting finds.I use a metal gold detector and search old abandoned home steads,crop fields,public parks and beaches in hopes of uncovering some long lost piece of the past. For me it's not about the gold,silver and other riches....it's about the rush I get when I uncover something that has been lost for years and knowing that I am holding something that at one time was held by the people who helped form this great nation...whether it be a lost piece of military history or a personal item of a man or woman who remembers what it was like when you had to actually had to put effort into day to day living.

FLASH From Mlle on lake Travis.

They had to move a Marina out of a cove due to low water , onto the main lake.
A lady metal detecter found 118 cell phones under where the ships store was .. . .

Yeah Hal, I remember you talking about digging up some type of coins or something over there.

Harmonica

The Hohner Company began production of the US Marine Band / John Phillips Sousa harmonica in 1896 and continued production for almost 100 years. Hope this helps with the harmonica

Later !
HHg

Re: Harmonica

The bottle is a snuff bottle. Look to see how the top was made, if it's a handmade top you can tell & it might be worth something.

Thanks guys. I think the snuff bottle and the harmonica are from around 1900-1930. That's also the range of the coins I found. That harmonica is not very rusted for being in the ground so long. Someone on another forum thought it might be silver but I doubt it.

GTA 1000 in the house!!!!

Hard diggin for coins in this texas soil though! Its USED to be top of the line ! Bought it almost 18 years ago ! heh Says "Its a penny and its 3 inches down" .. You better believe its right 99 % of the time!

In OHIO it was great to dig there.. Very soft dirt.. Here in texas .. well... yall got a serious pull tab problem I will say that!

Michelle

PS - Who ever is "Out4gold"

Wanted to thank you for the blurp on treasurequest!

i should have a link for them !!!

Thansk!

I just bought a Garrett ace 250. It's supposed to be pretty good for the amount of money I wanted to spend. I have had some issues with it but everyone seems to think it's a good machine for the price. The area I detected was actually not hard though, it's kinda sandy even though it's not a beach. Very easy to dig.

Speaking of garrets, that was a brand of snuff. That looks like one of their old bottles. Used to have raised dots on the bottom to tell the strength. Ain't my brand, but that's what old grandpa used.

It has one raised dot.

Good choice DJ, I like the open coil vs the solid no see through plus it doesnt float as much if surfin in the surf !
Hunting sites are limited only by imagination, bring it to Digfest, Maybe some Ding A Ling will
accidentally bury a tool or two !

I should be headed back to the same site again on Sat. If I find anything interesting I'll give you guys an update, unless you are getting bored with this stuff not being indian artifacts. I really think this place should be dug just like a midden. I found the bottle and the marble just by digging for something that I detected. Almost everytime I dig glass comes up. I've been told that marble could be $25-$35 if it were in great condition. I think there is probably alot more bottles to be found, and I need to find out where the out house was.