Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Metal detecting around old house part II

Guys, could you just tell me how to find a good place for metal detecting? I used to hunt on the hills, but no gain. Where are you guys usually go detecting?

K, you dont want to know where others have been detecting...whatever was there, they got !

Your own originality is what will produce finds. For example, instead of working the "hills"...sweep the very lowest drainages.

Just like many of the great shipwreck finds we hear of, they researched the archive for leads first....
Over the last 100 + years many small towns in Tx would have organised a rodeo or even a small carnival...They would have been just outside of town...find that area and you wont believe the finds.

When we lived in Frio county, old maps showed three other towns, now long gone. Two were depots for the train, places to stop for the old steam engines to get water. Once diesel came into play the towns dried up and vanished. The other town po****tion started moving out around the time of the depression and a fire destroyed the buildings. No signs any of them now, younger generations don't even know they exist. Old maps are a good place to check.

Years ago I found a bunch of old bottles in a ravine. It was a old lignite mining camp, the different types of bottles was very interesting.
Whiskey
perfume
medicine
embolming fluid
malted milk balls
there were a few more different ones, maybe I can get some pics posted when I get some extra time.