Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
For Hal

I'm sure you have seen this one but with your talk lately of PW points in Texas I thought I would repost it. Found in Williamson county.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Re: For Hal

Beautiful example of the type..dont ever let it get mixed up with common flint points.
The good close ups of both sides can lead to some speculation about the original knapper's thoughts.. It must have been fairly thin to begin with...that white color is not bark but just the exterior weathering evident on both sides then the resultant mineralisation color change going into the interior.
The flaking is not as smooth as chert, possibly the nature of the original wood grain.
I'm thinking the knapper was happy to get it as far as we see it without trying to get it any thinner.

As "usual" on an interesting subject I went to Google...Specifically PW by individual States. Seems EVERY State makes some note of an area where to find PW. I only tried about 5 States including Oregon but some articles made referent to large areas like the " North East or Mid west " etc.

Texas is well represented and the contributions are very varied depending on who is writing the reference,,,one calls his area a "petrified forest"'

And how about a Texas real Estate company with a wooden house for sale in Tyler !

photo DSCF9017_zpsd0f8c82d.jpg

This picture page does not specify construction material but other pages do, it's all local petrified wood.