Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: DIGFEST XIII ( thirteen )...10 - 12 & 13 -13

Hey Hal do you know where the new trenches will be?

The digfest trenches have always been dug just a few days before the event and could be determined by the most productive recent finds..

At this writing the top candidate area is in Camp 13, going from the present digging towards the bridge.

Saturday diggers will have the option of the old digs nearer the creek spot at 13, Fulton Hollow and even big hole is currently producing.

Can we arrive Friday and camp Friday night ?

Nathan Igo
Can we arrive Friday and camp Friday night ?

Yes

Just sign in, Richard likes to know who is on the property.

The big earth mover has now been moved down to the Camp 13 area for the digfest work.

photo DSCF9116_zpsf3cbf847.jpg

Can we get Richard to clean out the big ditch at camp13 without destroying the walls that are in place now.....the area going towards the bee tree has no room for throw dirt left,and if he could pull back the dirt from the walls it would make it so much easier to acess them,I have watched to many people just rake at the top layers and bury the wall and just move down and do it again....fustrating!

Can we get Richard to clean out the big ditch at camp13 without destroying the walls that are in place now.....the area going towards the bee tree has no room for throw dirt left,and if he could pull back the dirt from the walls it would make it so much easier to acess them,I have watched to many people just rake at the top layers and bury the wall and just move down and do it again....fustrating!

Max Harman
Can we get Richard to clean out the big ditch at camp13 without destroying the walls that are in place now.....

If I see R before you do I'll talk to him about it. I would think it's a good probability as R is well aware of having a good clean area for the Saturday crew.

Richard has been good about cleaning out the majority of the trnches,but has left the area giong towards the bee tree alone,it is getting hard to access the wall there,i see so many people who show up with just a wiggle pick and they just fill the walls in and move over.hoping for total access.i found 8 last week right below where a guy was doing excaltly that...waited till he left and dug under where he was.Digdeeper folks.

Can you guys give some digging etiquette. Do and don'ts. How deep do I need to go? What tools are a must have? Thanks

Nate, Some of the value of an organized get together is learning and /or comparing tools, techniques & ideas ( and camp cooking recipes ! ) Getting started takes minutes, just watch the others ( and hope they know what THEY are doing )

Tomorrow morning I'll do a couple of pics of basic tool suggestions

For first time visitors to Digfest, here is a light guide to tools.

Asside from gardening clothes and plenty of water, here is the minimum needed to dish the dirt. Big screw driver can be used as is or can be bent to a hook ( hook preferred.)
Common yard rake almost a must. All the dirt that is removed from the trench has a big probability of having artifacts.

photo DSCF9126_zps02b1aa4b.jpg

Upgrading. . . . . >
Top quality steel hand rake is a home Depot $17. item, the long handle cut off

photo DSCF9127_zps72cd16c5.jpg

One step farther;....add a tarp or blanket for possible sun shade or sitting on. small saw & clippers for roots'
Special note...The $3. thrift store frying pan takes the place of the big heavy unwieldy shovel. Highly recommended. Photographers oversight...the long handled garden rake should be included in all pics.

photo DSCF9128_zps258d3ec3.jpg

I just got back from Starr ranch digging, here's my back pack dumped out . . . .>
( Just ignore that long black thing for this digfest visit.. )

photo DSCF9129_zps28e1cdfe.jpg

"Surface hunting" is a less strenuous activity. Most professional surfacers use some sort of "walking stick "...A thrift store golf club with the club face sawed off is a good one.. ( Ranch owner Richard has the tools to clip the head off if you dont have a saw... )

photo DSCF9130_zps438bf8b6.jpg

Old time professional diggers will just have to bumble through without my tools help

Here is the usual camp area. Grass not as high as some past events, R said he will run the mower over the central area.

photo DSCF9131_zps80e3a80a.jpg

Fire ring awaits some wood ( plenty of dead wood on the property, just gather it )
Camping is not limited to this area, there's another 409 acreas your welcome to camp.

photo DSCF9132_zpse5ab93e0.jpg

here's the latest at camp 13..still going towards the Bee tree

photo DSCF9136_zpscb901fd6.jpg

and going back the other way towards the Cee tree.

photo DSCF9135_zps2cf55084.jpg

GOOD NEWS

The 10 day WX forecast is out that covers digfest weekend....

Rain "chance ,,,Fri 0% > Sat 10% > Sun 20% ( might as well be all zero ! )
All days cloudy and low 80s.. Nothing is for sure but at least this indicates that they dont foresee any large systems.

From WEATHER.COM ...Moody TX,10 day.

lol remember two years ago, the couple in the tent next to ours, woke up the next morning after that good storm, she felt sick to her stomach when she woke up. only to realize the air mattress they were sleeping on was floating around on the water in their tent!

Thanks for the pics of the tools. Can't wait to get started.

So what about the rain chances now? I'm coming out tomorrow unless its cancelled. We still on? This will be my first real arrowhead dig, aside from light surface hunting at my grandmothers. Really stoked.

Blakeb
So what about the rain chances now?

I'm working on a difinitive rain answer now....stop back to this space in a little while

We have a sophisticated weather machine here in Houston and the weeekend forcast is this. Friday looks good all day with clouds. Saturday morning looks good with cloud cover and a 50% chance of a thunderstorm around noon and then at three o'clock. The storms are scattered so we may see rain or not. Sunday there is an increased chance with a 70% probability. All one has to do is bring the tarp and set it up over your dig! All-day rain is not forecast. See yall there. And if this forecast dont come true dont shoot the weatherman.

REF rain and status:

Bottom line,,,,,I will be there at dawn Saturday and stay as long as my body can stand it !

First the status on this Thursday, 2 days before digfest weekend.
The original camp area is nicely cut for those that want it.

photo DSCF9153_zps01b4fa42.jpg

Main roads have been freshly graded.

photo DSCF9154_zps5669c954.jpg

And some extra dirt added as on this hill on the way to camp 13.

photo DSCF9155_zpsc188300c.jpg

The road site at Big hole is a choice piece of real estate....strictly in the nature of a proper report, I set up shop and in short order had a small mano.

photo DSCF9137_zps2168a925.jpg

Then a nice small blade.

photo DSCF9138_zpsd190d214.jpg

This "instu" shot shows the road on top.

photo DSCF9160_zpsc73e051c.jpg

photo DSCF9161_zpscd2ea474.jpg

This was neat, Ensor stuck in a clump...poor choice of backround

photo DSCF9159_zps1e9766e0.jpg

Thats enough of my sacrificing myself for the sake of reporting..Here comes Richard to clean up the area for the weekend.

photo DSCF9162_zps84ca11dc.jpg

My "road" finds from less than 2 hrs

photo DSCF9165_zpsaedf03ec.jpg

photo DSCF9166_zps8e446b59.jpg

Checkin garage on left...straight ahead to the fuel tanks.. . . L (<) to original camp area...>R to camp 13 at far North of ranch

photo DSCF9168_zps2a06ecc7.jpg

photo DSCF9169_zpsa5216305.jpg

This is the gate at the top of the hill from camp 13...it will be full open Sat & Sun. it's 900 feet to the dig area. So for reasons of mud or "roughness" the dirt roads can be completely bypassed.

photo DSCF9167_zpsa8831636.jpg

Whoever did the rain . . . . . . It worked. The long range forecast for central Tx shows somer ai % for EVERY SINGLE DAY !

Tough nut ...R & I weighed the possibilities and it amounts to a "modified" digfest. AS you see from the above status report, all is in order just waiting for diggers.. ......Future rain date not a good option.. . . . So we just say, "come and give it a try...see how much can be accomplished before any heavy rains..."

We dont like mud digs but for enthusiastic diggers we know it can be done...THE famous drowned out digfest was hours of steady down pour vs "scattered showers or isolated storms " as they are labeling the current system.

One very important modification...NO sacred dig trench for Sunday only....all the cleared work you see above is immediatly open to dig on arrival.

For those interested..."Forewarned is forearmed" Be smart....PLAN on Some rain,
bring a tarp just to cover the dirt in your dig area, ,,,some kind of rain coat ( walmart in sporting goods,maybe $3.)

Sorry but every one in Texas has been ing & for rain !

Can I come out tomorrow?

BlakeB
Can I come out tomorrow?

Sure....you probably wont be alone, some others were also planning on Friday.

yea we are loading the camper as I type. well they are loading lol/ we will be on our way down in the morning , should see who ever is around tomorrow evening. But this year I am camping right close to where im digging. no more back and forth for a sandwich lol!

These pieces were found by Koby who was "helping" Richard clean/trench the big hole road area yesterday morning.

photo DSCF9158_zps99f2222e.jpg

PARKING / CAMPING / TOP OF THE HILL BY GATE??

jerry

Are yall going to park on the top of the hill and use that area for camping or the old camping area??

IF there is mudd.. We might all be better off Cmaping and parking at the Gate Entrance on the back of the property (I HAVE POSTED THIS PICTURE ON THE FRONT PAGE)

I do not want to get stick - your YOUR big Toys stuck either!

Whats the plan?

Re: PARKING / CAMPING / TOP OF THE HILL BY GATE??

Many camped at 13.