Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: McFaddin Beach

McFaddin has produced a few bones and arrowheads for me. Sorry to say the shell with a hole is very common. There are several types of snails that drill those holes to get inside and have a meal.

Thanks for the info Fieldwalker. I did see several of the shells with small holes in them but none of them were as large as that one nor were any of them a perfect circle, they were all oblong or poorly ovoid if you will... I am definately no expert in snails nor shell pendants but that circle looked very different than all the others out there. Guess the only way to know with some degree of certainty would to be to send it off to get COA'd. Anyone else have any other ideas to find out?

Brio
Anyone else have any other ideas to find out?

Google SEA SHELL BORING ANIMALS. . . .lots of info, San Diego Nat Hist museum is one.

I was well aware of all the shell on the Tx coast with small holes in them, I was willing to give this one a positive human intervention because of the very symetrical hole and it looks like a formed exterior.
As luck would have it, there is a beautiful non animal bored hole on the front page right now. IF there was a hint of edge trim on the beach find, that would be a positive.

On the big negative side...around the main through hole there are other "hole" depressions...Those are NOT consistant with the twisting of a flint drill bit..
Fraid I side with Field as it being a natural object..