Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Neolithics from temple show....real or fake

There is not a thing wrong with Neolithic artifacts as long as they are sold as Sahara Neolithic. There are a lot of re chipped pieces. You have to watch for re tipped points and bottoms on Neolithic points.

Jonas
Any help on this question would be appreciated

Short Q, excessively l o n g Answer:

All the "birds" in this frame were bought from a local man that worked for us in the Western desert of the Sahara .. (Algeria )almost a half a century ago. I made the frame at the time with the red leather backing still so common in that part of the world. He had them in a big burlap bag, wanted to sell them by the kilo ( 2.2 lbs maybe $5. a kilo. )
He said they were gathered over years by family and friends. Being much shrewder and wiser in my youth than now,,,,,I just bought a handfull

photo DSCF9393_zpsc4a5ef4c.jpg

Thats Chase from Smokey Mountain Knives at the Temple show.
No reproduction flint is allowed on the main floor of the show, so his location is some testament to managements' opinion that they are real enough. Beautiful Repro's sold in the front entry hall.

I first Met Chase about 12 years ago at the Tucson Gem & Mineral show...
Those thousands of points, very similar to mine of 40 years ago got me talking to Chase...
His father was making yearly trips to west Africa specifically to gather anything sellable of interest. The other tables of his might include " Paleo axes" iron spears, witch doctor paraphanalia etc etc...
At least that explains how Smokey Mountain had these points..

By contrast...about 3 years later at Tucson EVERY MOROCAN dealer offered these same type points....Morocan "fossils" sold at Tucson are world famous....
Famous for not being fossils at all, just being "carved " out of a lump of limestone rock.
With such great imitations behind them,,,,I would not care to buy " real" points from a known Morocan source ( even though real points do come from Saharan Moroco. )

Smokey Mts' price for the lowest grade is very reasonable and at least Chase will give a discount for quantity buys.

They make GREAT mosaics or designs....... $ prohibitive for an equal quantity of real Montells

SH, thank you for that info. I saw the other collectables he had and your story matches his. I value your opinion so I'll put them in
A frame soon. I did get a nice green Celt and some cool points from him
So I guess my trade was not in vane. Ha. Once again thanks