Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Western Bastrop County

Idahoe
Well said Tammy! Its all good fun. My friend Tom is an artifact and sometimes strays from my well intentioned comments. I will speak with him. Where is the pic of that spear point?

...still looking for my box. Tonight my husband said it may be out with the riding mower, but I'll have to look this weekend during daylight...too many rattlesnake possibilities with the warm up, especially since that is where we keep the horse and chicken feed.

Tammy, I think I would google and check "antiques marbles" and then go from there. I tried it and believe you can get some meaningful information as to the vintage of the marbles excluding "size". For those of you that don't know "tater" and I, we met in the aftermath of Hurricane Ike (a great story onto it's own and one I'm afraid I will get killed over if I share). We started hunting together and it turned into competition from the start. JT and Janie, Ken and Betty and Chris and his wife were there for the "Battle of Barksdale" where I defeated the evil empire with a LaJita drill. Tater must have had a premonition as he could not attend the finding of the Barksdale Bell. I was soundly defeated at Pipe Creek as Snoop can attest but rallied at the first Vanderpool showdown and lost the 2nd to his "stacky" Montell as Jason Garrett and Cyrus will attest. Over the years, it has been fun and will continue to be as we prepare to square off in the 2014 season. I would like to see all the contributors to this string attend as if nothing else, we have alot of fun at each others expense. Tater can have only one excuse this year (hint hint).

Tater is fully prepared to answer your challenge. Will you be screening from the chair this year? Now all we need is a screen dig location. Rest up Mr. C and dont forget the Geritol.

Okay, still have not found the points BUT I did find a box of rocks that I forgot I had and I think y'all might like it!!

Someone mentioned there are no stone bowls and while this is not a bowl, it is what I meant by that:

photo IMG_3274_zpsb2a5b89a.jpg

This was the piece I found when my father lived off of Burson Drive in the Bear Creek subdivision in Manchaca...I found it in a little patch of woods next to the house, just laying there in 1979. True "ghost" story, about that same time I was in those woods sneaking a cigarette (yes, I thought I was a cool teenager), and I felt a strong shove to my left shoulder...I thought I was caught! I turned around and no one was there...!

photo IMG_3277_zps6eb65cb6.jpg

The piece below is the first piece I found on this property in Bastrop County about 1984. I had no idea what it was, only that it helped me cut the string in my garden and I popped it in my pocket. An old guy that worked at Travis State School with me at the time told me that the black marks were "pitch" used to secure the rock to a stick.

photo IMG_3276_zps904e4d70.jpg

This piece is cool. I don't know what it is only that it seems made to fit the hand and it looks like there is some pitting on the end.
 photo IMG_3279_zps10318b95.jpg

Did I tell y'all I also found what looks like a fossil bone...maybe buffalo. I found it when we first moved here about 30 years ago. It's around here somewhere...it looks like this:

http://www.fossil.net/site_arc/index.cfm?action=item&prod_id=3859&site_acr=ffs&

Why are some pieces worked like this one?
 photo IMG_3281_zps8f870bc2.jpg

...and this one:
 photo IMG_3280_zpsc5f048b8.jpg

Was this some type of "drill" ??
 photo IMG_3283_zps31422ca0.jpg

I have several more items if anyone is interested in seeing them, I'll post more photos.

As I have said, I know very little on this subject, however, it seems like my rocks are more primitive than the finely worked pieces I've seen here.