Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Smoker bird and some beads

Looks like a couple of trade beads, are all of them trade's? You'll didn't do to bad at all.

Excellent pics. The blue bead was the most coveted by the PNW tribes. Lewis and Clark had only a handfull left when Fort Clatsop was established. They saved only a few on their way back to get their horses from the Nez Perce to make the Bitterroot crossing on the way back to the Missouri. A true gem. love your posts. We have found many obsidian points in Idaho most of which were Bannock and Shoshone. The Columbia Basin is very Rich in natural history. The sands of the Columbia still yield treasures. Great show!

By the way the trade bead with the straight white lines precedes Lewis and Clark Venetians. Likely trade ship around 1790 or before. My opinion. It's a unique bead. The size gives it away. LC beads were larger.

Thanks for the info. I wondered about the striped one.

Well that's a new feature we haven't seen before...Instu's where the viewers are having to hunt for an artifact..thats some tough to see items...
Is that the official by the book ID name for that Bird point ?

As per Ida's input, if someone lived in an area that had frequent bead finds....DEEP research could be extensive...
Not only to identify a given bead but the history of that bead..
Years ago I remember seeing a program on ancient glass work. Trade beads for the Americas were part of it.. Just figure how the "bands" got onto that little banded bead !

Does the blue bead have a white or green core?

It's just blue inside Ida, it's actually broken in half. Thanks Hal, my back still hurts from bending over searching for beads. Basically you check any white speck and some of them are beads. The black striped one was found taking a picture of a white one, it would be tough to out right spot that bad boy. Some collectors call that type rabbit island but I've noticed many of the pros cringe at that name.

Idahoe
By the way the trade bead with the straight white lines precedes Lewis and Clark Venetians. Likely trade ship around 1790 or before. My opinion. It's a unique bead. The size gives it away. LC beads were larger.

What a big story for such a small find....Notice Ida specifically identifies a "Venetian" origin...

I Googled " ORIGIN OF TRADE BEADS"....
What a story ! I never looked it up before...Venetian beads have been a MAJOR industry for 700 years. They made goods for use all over the world, not just the Americas..

A huge market was for the slave trade. These inexpensive beautiful items were as good or better than gold or money .. The one listing I chose to look at was Wikipedia which among many other pictures had one example that looked very similar to GTwn's find.