Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: My Gifted Treasures!!

Some better pic of the metal point.

photo benniespendant016_zps21af8211.jpg

photo benniespendant014_zpseeeb531f.jpg

Some brokes that came with the other stuff.

photo benniespendant011_zps1df63861.jpg

We sure need a dig down in that part of the country. Man, I got the fever bad!!

The Gorget is a nice piece. Beautiful. The spoon piece is unique. Can't remember ever seeing one, The color/material on the blade is sweet. Brokes are fun to look at. Nice package you received.

Thanks Flint, I have read in their last years they started using any type metal they could find, from gun parts,wagon hardware etc. I guess a lot of the iron points simply deteriorated over the years, but the copper and silver points survived.

sandman

We sure need a dig down in that part of the country.

Understatement
Few yrs ago some of the top diggers in Tx were having a tech talk on that Nueces watershed..Just the KNOWN sites is tremendous along with seeming overlap of most of the better known tribes of Tx.
More tech talk, admittedly the flint can be beautiful BUT the QUALITY & SIZE of even the "field grade" points are consistently exemplary. Why this area ?, maybe some minerals in the river water ?

On the negative side...that mission marker sign in Montell specifically notes that the Spanish closed the mission because the financial burden could not be sustained, too many local Indians were seeking benefits from the missionaries, not for "conversion" reasons but for safety from other agressive Indians.

Googled " OLD SPANISH TABLEWARE "...No positive ID, mainly cause the spoon point does not have enough original left.. BUT there are HUNDREDS of reference links for people that collect flatware.

Small treasure in those additional pieces, that fat, leaf like Montell upper R is described by D Rogers as a true "Montell Knife"..they were made oversized L & R for the express reason of resharpening with use.

Good show