Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Newbie with an recent find

Hi everyone. Found this website just today while researching my recent find, and boy, I wish something like your group had existed when I was a kid (I'm 66, now). I guess I found my first "arrowheads" as a boy scout at El Rancho Cima in central Texas. When I got there my first time, I asked a councilor whether I might find any arrowheads and was told , no, the camp had been picked clean over the years. Well, the next day I walked behind the commissary, right in the middle of the camp, and found maybe two dozen points right on the surface.

Any ways, this past weekend I was kayaking the Colorado at Columbus and stopped for lunch on a rocky sandbar - and spotted a river polished palm scraper. Rather crudely chipped and nothing special - except for one thing. It was obviously made to fit the left hand.

This kind of scraper, I believe, was used from the paleo era to the recent historical era. But I'm hoping someone might be able to offer some comment.

You can see the curved line on the one side, where the thumb fits and, on the reverse side, the straight diagonal line where the middle finger rests.

I was wondering whether this feature might help date it and just how common this feature is.

photo 1_zps7bcd4508.jpg
 photo 2_zps591c6d90.jpg
 photo 3_zps778736cb.jpg

Re: Newbie with an recent find

Speculating that a tool is L or R handed happens fairly frequently but it's still speculation. Wont help with dating. True, tools like that were used from Paleo days...( and WAY before that in Africa when the chimps were just starting to walk upright. )
One thing sure about the piece...It really has that river washed look, all the edges of the flake lines have no sharpness to them, they have been polished smooth. ( same effect can be seen on desert stones )

Good story telling too....thats really humorous about not bothering to look over an area that has been " cleaned out " before...
Good surface hunters today know very well that artifacts are progressively being exposed no matter how many people have been there before....It only takes 1/32nd
of a dust coating to hide an object..

Good posting

With the exception of the shell ornament, which was found at Lake Falcon, these are the first "arrow heads" I found as a scout as described above. Thinking back, these were all found in an area probably not more than 50' square. I had a buddy who picked up as many as I did and it took us about 15 minutes. Three of these are small scrapers and two are not flat but have a "twist".

photo 4_zps3846e543.jpg

The story that goes with the multiple finds is interesting.....now there is a case of the first person to visit a site since antiquity making so many finds..

V nice points AND. . . . .what are those bottom 2 left, one row in ???
The extreme rounded bases are unique for that size, , , , Axtel ( Penny points ) are much larger points and even so the penny base is not that pronounced.
Any idea what county they were found ? Maybe a very small limited range type.

Tks for the show.

I don't know if it's true or not,but I was told by an expert that is Native
American that all tools were made to be used in the left hand.