Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Artifact Hunter Dies After Falling off Cliff S. Austin

City of Austin, game wardens crack down on ancient artifact thieves

Seems one of our brothers has dug his last point after he fell off an 80' cliff after being sprayed with mace & trying to resist arrest.
The word is "Don't dig on any Public Lands!"

AYS COUNTY, Texas -- Twenty acres of newly purchased land by the City of Austin in northern Hays County for watershed protection is proving to be a hotspot for a particular type of crime.

The property used to be part of the Spillar Ranch off of Bliss Spillar Road and Highway 1626.

The parcel of land is also the site of ancient burial and campsites by Native Americans' land, which is protected.

“People lived here more than 10,000 years ago. They conducted their lifestyle here,” said Willy Conrad with the City of Austin’s Water Utility Wildland Conservation.

Bear Creek runs through the property, which is actually a flood plain. Conrad said water from the area eventually flows into Barton Creek.

Thieves have been targeting ancient burial sites and have been digging illegally for artifacts like spearheads, arrowheads, tools and even bones.

“This site is important to everybody in Texas because it tells us about our ancient history,” added Conrad.

The City of Austin is working closely with Texas Parks and Wildlife game wardens, who have set out surveillance cameras and stepped up surprise visits to the area.

“We've actually, in the last six months, probably apprehended and are prosecuting close to a dozen people from this site and another site. A lot of the activity that we've found is in the wee hours of the morning,” said game warden Jake Scott.

At least 12 people were arrested and charged within the past six months.

Jail time can be anywhere from two to 10 years with fines up to $10,000.

“If you want to learn about this stuff, come and talk to us. We do educational events, tours and things like that. Come to see us to learn about it, but if you come here to steal from the people of Austin you're going to get caught and prosecuted,” said Conrad.

Re: Artifact Hunter Dies After Falling off Cliff S. Austin

hello all

Yes, sad some had to DIE digging on land they should not have been on

I was contacted by assignments editor at TWC News, formerly News 8 Austin.

Nothing I could really say to them because I was not there and don't know anyone who digs that south.

Wonder if they are going to release the names of who was arrested and

the sad who died running from the police.

Sad day for the digger and the family. My condolences. That is
about all I would be able to offer to the news either so I will
not contact them back.

-Michelle

Re: Artifact Hunter Dies After Falling off Cliff S. Austin

I hope this opens some eyes to folks jumping fences. There's a lotta good dirt at places like CCC and Starrr and the mystery digg in fredricksburg? Feel as well