SMILIES       BB-CODE       FORUM GUIDELINES       SITE DONATIONS       CONTACT ADM
General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: No More Iron Holmes Please

I see your point, Rocky. It's not that I don't like the fact that he is doing blockbusters that make millions of bucks for the studios. He hasn't been in blockbusters before, and I know Iron Man gave him the chance to be in one. As S. says, it also made him a megastar. He was unknown outside the US before IM. I like the fact that IM brought success and fame for him. I like the fact that he has made new fans not just in the US but all over the world. If he hadn't done IM the world wouldn't have discovered this talented, charismatic actor. After all he has gone through all good things finally came to him. I am very happy for him. However, sometimes it would be nice to see him in movies that will bring acclaim for him, not just money.
George Clooney does art films because he likes doing this kind of movies. He doesn't take a particular role just because he thinks it will hit the box-office and make millions of dollars. The fact that he likes doing quality films shows he doesn't do films just for the money. I'm not saying Robert is doing movies just for the money. He says he is a movie nerd. That's why he wanted to become an actor. I know he is very dedicated to his craft. But I'd like to see him follow the George Clooney route.

I'm enjoying this conversation/debate, too :)

Yes, George Clooney does some awesome movies but Robert is just not there, yet. Eventually, he will move in Clooney's direction but I think that his films will still be quite different from the ones George makes. Clooney seems more the earnest type and Robert is quite the opposite. I'm not saying that he won't do serious projects (most of the already announced ones are not on the light side) but he'll always search for the fun element in movies as well - being in the movie itself or coming from the people who are involved with production, etc.
I suppose, money is not the issue anymore just finding the time to push some of his own projects. I guess that this will happen after IM3 finished filming. Maybe he takes a pause for the new baby but after that and before Sherlock Holmes 3 would be a good time to concentrate on stuff he has lying around for a while :)

@ Ray
Thanks for the info that you read it in some article - will try to find it.
May I ask why you felt patronised by the second Holmes movie? I mean, this is a really strong word and I'm sure that noone involved wanted to evoke such a feeling in any viewer.
I mean, they have to be careful to not make the character Holmes too foolish. Even though I laughed at the pony scene I could have done without and it doesn't really fit his persona. The 1. train scene could have been better executed, some scenes and line-delivery made me a bit cringe. All in all a bit too much.
But we shouldn't forget that it was Robert's idea to dress as a woman. And while I don't think this was a bad move (Holmes did this in the books as well), they could have made him a bit better looking. The end result just felt like it was there for comedic relief and I don't think this was actually intended regarding the looking part. Though I get why Robert thought it a good idea... Showing up dressed like that on Watson's honeymoon - kind of getting into competition with his new wife ;) And I really liked Mary's reaction to it - well acted!

I just read that Guy signed on for making a 3rd movie and they most probably will shoot in Hollywood. While they intended to move the story to America for the third installment right from the beginning when they made the first one, I really think that Robert is the main reason why they actually will shoot there. I mean, they could fake the US landscape of the 19th century as well as they did it with London, Paris, Germany and Switzerland while staying in GB. But I already had the feeling some months ago that they'll move the production to the US because of the new baby. They even said so in the article. Of course this could be a pleaded reason but I think Guy and the team would be happy to shoot in England - at least some parts of it. F. i. Guy is a father of a very young child as well - Jude has his family in London as well. But with this decision one can see how much influence Robert has nowadays and how close his relationship with the director is that he's willing to change the continent on which they will film on.
I hope that they'll be able to contain the Victorian mood and keep the main people behind the movie (costume & set designers for ex.) and that they won't mess with Holmes too much. Because somehow to me Holmes is connected with London very deeply and I have a hard time seeing him in the US (canonly he has never been there - at least it isn't mentioned).
But all in all I love their depiction of the books so much even though they aren't overall faithful.
When reading the books my main interest lies in the way HOW Holmes is able to solve the cases. When watching the movies my main interest lies IN Holmes HIMSELF (and his interaction with the people around him). Robert made the character so much more compelling to me.
Though I do hope that they will focus more on his brilliant mind next time and give the audience something to wonder about/solve as well. What fuels the hope is that Robert said in an interview that he likes to focus more on the mystery and crime-solving for the next one. After saving England, and now Europe he doesn't feel that they should go even bigger. Stepping a bit down and having something more private for the "only consulting detective" sounds nice to me :)

Country Germany

Thank you for sharing the info on Guy Ritchie signing on for the next SH installment. I was glad to hear that Robert would like to focus more on mystery and crime solving in SH3. Rob, you got it right! That's exactly what the audience expect from the third movie. I also hope that there will more focus on Sherlock's powers of deduction and giving the audience something to solve. Like Ray, I don't want something predictable. The audience should be given something to guess/ wonder about. I don't want something bigger either. Just a story about a new case for the detective to solve. You said they had to be careful not to make the character too foolish. That's exactly what I was trying to tell you. I said Robert's Sherlock looked ridiculous with these silly disguises. As Robert says, SH is a 'weirdo'. I got that, but the character's eccentricity was exaggerated in the sequel. That's why I didn't like his interpretation of the detective this time. At least, it is toned down in the first movie. I hope it will be in the next movie. They should focus more on his brilliant mind than on his eccentricity. I expect to see a detective, not a clown. I don't mind the slow motion effects but Guy Ritchie shouldn't use them more than necessary.

As for the disguises, I wrote my opinion to that in the other thread about Sherlock Holmes 3 - don't want to repeat myself ;)

I think I'm kind of a fan of Ritchie's slow-mo. I really like how he uses it and it creates beautiful images.
Though I agree that he uses it in the second Holmes quite excessively and I can understand when this is a bit too much for some people.
Esp. the wood sequence is probably a love-or-hate thing.
When I saw it for the first time it nearly threw me off the movie but with the second view I started to enjoy it and now after watching this movie several more times I really appreciate this sequence as kind of a piece of art. Yes, it still makes the movie and the story stop (sometimes literally *g*) but the images that it creates in connection with the music stops my breath every single time. The only small gripe I have with it is the small part right after they all fight each other after "Little Hansel" put everyone to the ground. Or not how they fought, but more precisely how the camera moved during this. To me it feels to comical, but I'm sure that there are people who would argue against it as well :)
All in all I really loved the wood scene, how the canon is ripping apart tree after tree and the protagonists are nearly motionless, how the close-up of Moran shows his eagerness to get to them, how the bullet grazes Watson. One picture really got me already by the first viewing:

All I could think was that I really need the DVD so I can put it as my desktop background. Yesterday I found it on some website (http://www.fxguide.com/featured/a-game-of-shadows-more-to-the-mystery/) and guess how my desktop looks like now :)

Country Germany

Re: No More Iron Holmes Please

Thank you Rocky, I didn't know how to express what you said. I really love Iron Man and Sherlock Holmes, and for me Robert can continue doing this roles 10 years more.

Country Barcelona (Spain)

Age (opt) 30

That was a great post Rocky!

I have seen many interviews where Robert says he does not want to do an Art or more independent film at this point in time. He seemed happy to be doing Holmes and Ironman. I think just recently he said he would only stop doing them when people get completely sick of them lol.

Of course I never will! I love both movies, especially Sherlock Holmes (I loveEnglish accents,)

It's too bad Chaplin didn't gross more, I have seen it and think it was a great film.

Age (opt) 13

It's great to have the film maker's POV, Rocky. I will add that the Team-Downey projects all look very exciting so in addition to the franchises we will be seeing him in projects he developed himself and has passion for. If Robert's happy I'm happy.

Country USA

Thank you Rocky for your post. You said it all and as Judy said, from your POV as a film maker. His endless and unlimited talent allow him the leeway to do any role he desires, successfully. Robert really wanted to do IM ..... he's had that desire since childhood I'm sure. No one else could possibly have been Tony Stark/Iron Man. He made that role his very own.

Country Walnut Creek, Calif USA

I'm kind of torn on this one. I love this actor so much but I must stay that I really hated Sherlock Holmes 2. The story was totally lame, action too. Sick of Guy Ritchies slow-mo plus this whole Holmes- Watson thing is just way too much for my taste. Iron Man on the other hand, I LOVED the first one, the second one was a BIG disappointment. The third one I’m looking forward too just because it’s Shane Black. I know he’s probably stuck with the contract that says he has to do 3 of these and Avengers but then I would really like him to stop with the Iron Man movies. Three is enough, also enough with the Sherlock Holmes too, or at least take a break for a couple of years on that one. I feel like there’s a ton of things he could do out there that’s interesting and can still make money. It doesn’t have to be small artsy or big blockbuster stuff all the time. Not every small artsy film he did was good anyway. Soloist for example I thought was awful. I think he just needs to find the right balance. I’m really excited about some of the project that he and Susan have announced for their company (Yucatan, Emergency, Accidental Genius, USS Indianapolis). I just don’t want to see Iron Man 6 or Sherlock Holmes 13 get made. Look at someone like Christian Bale. He did three Batman movies and now he says he’s done with it. He needs to say goodbye to Tony and Sherlock and go explore other things.

After skimming through 3 threads with this same conversation, I must implore all of you: Pick your Battles. This is ridiculous.

Go outside, get some air and please, let it go!

Ha...Please Keep the Iron Man and Sherlock Holmes films coming! Keep doing the projects in between that you see fit Robert.

Country USA

Age (opt) 26