SMILIES       BB-CODE       FORUM GUIDELINES       SITE DONATIONS       CONTACT ADM
General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Fan Mail and meeting RDJ?@DrSues

Thanks for sharing this wonderful story again, Sue.. you were fantastic and I know Robert loved your "coming to his rescue".

Country Walnut Creek, Calif USA

Re: Fan Mail and meeting RDJ?@DrSues

You and Mr. D must have had fun reminiscing about that experience when you met up in Chicago.

Country USA

Re: Fan Mail and meeting RDJ?

thats an awesome story!! That woman lost her mind completely lol poor Robert at least he touched your hand

Age (opt) 21

DrSues (Administrator)
Since this topic came up....and it's been a LONG time since I posted this...I thought I would share it with the newer members of DUF.
There were a few of us DU members at RDJ's hand and footprint ceremony when he got honored at Grahman's.
Hope you enjoy my story!

My Robert Encounter
12-7-09
Grahman’s Chinese Theater
RDJ’s hand and footprint Ceremony

Please let me begin by telling you I have already met, and spoken with 4 famous celebrities in my life. Each time I had been able to stay calm and remind myself that these are just flesh & blood people like me, who just happen to be really attractive, and good at their jobs. I’ve always been able to have an intelligent, mature dialog with each of them.
Until Robert….
He came out, in the rain, with 2 good-sized men as body guards / umbrella handlers – who reminded people to lean their umbrellas back and NOT poke Robert in the eyes with the darn things! LOL!
As soon as he came out of the tent, he started at the far end of the line of fans, and I began to remind myself of all the possible things I wanted to say to him. “Congratulations! You so deserve this recognition!”
“You are such an amazing actor! I love your work!”
“You and Susan are such an adorable couple! Did I mention my name is Susan? LOL!”
Yep! I had all these things planned!

Then the weirdest thing happened!! He was ONE person away from greeting me, when a crazy woman threw herself into the front line right between me and the guy who had been shoulder to shoulder with me. She leaned across the railing in front of all of us and began grabbing at Robert, and shouting at him ‘how much she loved him, you’re wonderful, etc.’ She got two fistfuls of Robert’s suit and tie .And the whole time she is pawing at him, he was trying to step back, with his hands up to avoid touching her. His handlers kept saying things like, “Mam! Put your hands down. You can’t do this, Mam” But they actually sounded ‘polite’ about it! And she didn’t stop! She ****** me off, so I leaned down in her face and yelled – “TAKE YOUR GODDAMM HANDS OFF HIM!”
Then someone who was with her, pulled her backward and out of the way – I was so distracted by all this in that instant, I wasn’t facing forward, but watching her go backward! Both my hands were gripping the railing in front of me, and I felt a warm hand slide over my left hand and gently squeeze it. That brought my attention back and I looked up into Robert’s face.
*Now I could be completely wrong about this – but it felt (at that moment) like he was saying, “Thanks for sticking up for me!” Without saying a word.*
I melted. All coherent thought left my brain! Looking into his expressive face and those warm brown eyes, I turned into mush! I put out my right hand to shake his and he took it in both of his. The only words that came out of my mouth were…
“OH!....Sweetheart!”
DUH!!!! He probably thought I was just a milder version of the last wacko! Damm!
He smiled warmly at me and went to Lisa, who was standing next to me with her little girl. You would think I’d know what was said between them! But no! My mind was just gone! So she will have to post that!
All I can say is – if you get the chance to see him in person…take it!
DrSues

Thank you for sharing this wonderful story! I can imagine him looking deep in your eyes with that warm expression - what a fantastic moment!

I'm sure I couldn't say a word if I ever met him. I would just stare at him like an idiot!

Country Hungary

Age (opt) 35

I really wanna meet him. The problem is I live in Indonesia. Maybe I don't have any chance to meet him. I just can meet him only in my dream LOL! Could him take time off and go to Bali/Jakarta (Indonesia)? It is impossible...

Country Indonesia

Age (opt) 19

I just came across this and hope it's ok to 'revive' such an old thread...?

But OMG! That story is just brilliant, although it's quite scary what some people seem to believe to be appropriate behaviour... I'm already nervous just by reading this, can't possibly imagine how I had reacted, but very probably very similar Apart form the weird woman a wonderful story!

Country UK

Age (opt) 28

I only meet up with him in NYC and every time it's nuts and I always get him to laugh. I liken the crowds to a rugby match. He has signed for me 5 times ( each time I've seen him) and each time he has been able to give me a "Downey Moment" and I always walk away with a good story. He's quite a guy ... and Susan is a doll.

Oh dear, can't say that I'm not a little jealous .
That all sounds so awesome! How do you do this??

Country UK

Age (opt) 28

@Tara ... NYC is very under rated when it comes to celebrity encounters! I just do a lot of research and wait at the right places. He is very cool and loves when you have the most current promotional items to be signed. I always make sure I have the right stuff on hand. Honestly ... I'm pretty sure he is starting to recognize me ... I'm shorter than him and the last couple of times he has signed for me first. ... Last time he came to me first ... took my pen ... signed for me and some others and walked back over to me to return my pen... that was really cool! I'm a fan ... I'm pretty sure he knows.

wendy
@Tara ... NYC is very under rated when it comes to celebrity encounters! I just do a lot of research and wait at the right places. He is very cool and loves when you have the most current promotional items to be signed. I always make sure I have the right stuff on hand. Honestly ... I'm pretty sure he is starting to recognize me ... I'm shorter than him and the last couple of times he has signed for me first. ... Last time he came to me first ... took my pen ... signed for me and some others and walked back over to me to return my pen... that was really cool! I'm a fan ... I'm pretty sure he knows.

So if I brought The Futurist album to be signed if I ever got a chance to meet him, he would be find with that?

Age (opt) 23

@Aikou ... Even though it is not the most current thing he has going on career wise ... he may because so few people would ask. I've seen people walk away disappointed because he didn't sign Iron Man things while he was promoting Sherlock. I honestly don't think he chooses what to sign and what not to sign but it seems he gravitates to the newest thing he's promoting. These are my observations only. PS ... his security team is also super nice.

Thanks very much, wendy. I should probably move to the US...

Country UK

Age (opt) 28

Tara ...I would switch with you if I could. I haven't been to UK in years ... Loved it!

If ( and that's a big if) I can make it to the Iron Man 3 premiere I can bring my Iron Man (1) along then. :)

Country USA

@wendy: Really? Whereabouts have you been in the UK, if I may ask? I haven't been to the US so far at all, which is really a shame...

I very very very much hope that there'll be a premiere in London again as well, because if there is, I'll be there! I could still kick my *** for missing out on the Avengers premiere this year AND Sherlock Holmes 2!

Country UK

Age (opt) 28

Tara I was in London a long time ago. I was going to mention Sherlock to you... hopefully you will get another chance.i can't believe they will not make another. My sister and I saw Jude Law on broadway in Hamlet and sat in row 3. He was promoting Sherlock that month too. In one week I got Jude's autograph and RDJ"S! That was a very good week!

Yeah, I mean, with that end to Sherlock 2, they just kind of HAVE to make a third one, don't they? It would be such a pity if they didn't...

I think I remember the time when Jude Law was doing Hamlet... I think that was around the time Ewan McGregor did Othello, because I was desperate to get tickets for that back then... Oh, all those missed opportunities... if I knew then what I know now..
Anyway, that really does sound like a great week for you!

Country UK

Age (opt) 28

. In one week I got Jude's autograph and RDJ"S! That was a very good week!

I am impressed... getting to meet and get autographs of the two. :) Even if I manage to go to a show or premiere with them in it...I wouldn't even know where exactly to go to ensure that I can meet and get their autographs. Awesome.
I read somewhere that the script for SH3 started before even SH2 premiered....

Country USA

Always best to have the movie he is promoting at that time. You can get Iron Man 3 merchandise a few weeks prior to the movies release. Good Luck!

This is an interesting question considering how many people on this board claim to love him since the 80s. Other than Joyce no one has proof of any encounter or interaction with him before Iron Man. (FYI buying movie memorabilia on eBay isn't proof.) Sure a bunch of people are flying all around the country and world to his events now. No one attended a movie premiere before Iron Man? You've loved him since the 80s but have never written him? How about at his lowest point when he was in prison? Did you write to him then? Because from what I hear, he personally responded to everyone then.

Country US

So ... back in the 1980's we didn't surf the web for all the premiere info. I've met him ... yes after Iron Man. My close friend was in Less Than Zero with him and said he was really funny and friendly. I am Robert's age and back then ... I had my own stuff going on ... being in a band and hanging out in clubs in NYC ... Times were quite different. I am sure I stood next to him in a club but we were all so caught up in our own world's ... we didn't bother him. Where were you in the 1980's?