SMILIES       BB-CODE       FORUM GUIDELINES       SITE DONATIONS       CONTACT ADM
General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: The Singing Detective, if you have seen the film please reply!!

I agree! If you want to choose an RDJ movie and your topic is schizophrenia, I would say "The Soloist" would be your BEST choice. Jamie Foxx does a very accurate portrayal of a man with this disorder. :)
Also, if you're not specific to RDJ and you are into CSI/mystery-type films, "The Alphabet Killer" is one that shows a very creepy form of schizophrenia. Eliza Dushku plays a detective on a murder case and her schizophrenia both helps and harms her and she sees the ghosts of the little girls that were killed. A very creepy yet interesting movie. :P
GOOD LUCK on your project!!

Country USA

Age (opt) 19

I thought The Singing Detective was pretty brilliant. He's off his rocker in this film, bitter and sarcastic. Muttering the weirdest things. Plus he's gorgeous. This is definitely Robert at his finest

Country United States

Age (opt) 18

Rita's right......if you're looking for a Downey film that deals with the topic of mental illness, The Soloist is the one. If you haven't seen it, you need to check it out before you do this project.

Country South Carolina, USA

Age (opt) 34

Jenna Hatcher
I thought The Singing Detective was pretty brilliant. He's off his rocker in this film, bitter and sarcastic. Muttering the weirdest things. Plus he's gorgeous. This is definitely Robert at his finest

I agree with you! This film is one of my favorites of his. He looks amazing (with the healthy skin ), and I love the songs, too!

Country Hungary

Age (opt) 36

i do agree whole heartedly with rita.

however i believe Dan Dark is a escapist as he wants to get away from what happened to him in the past and currently.

he seems to blame everyone else for his problems and to ease his pain he had delusions of grandeur and is the believes he is the character in the books that he has written.

i do not know whether it is the sign of being a person who suffers from schizophrenia or just a person who has a condition that he wishes to escape from.

i did find the movie disturbing and sad though. robert's protrayal of the character was magnificent.

that is my opinion anyway.

fiona

Country australia

Age (opt) feel 18!

Thanks for all the replies! I have indeed seen The Soloist, I did think of that one for my project as well, but I thought The Singing Detective would be more suited for my project as the psychologist uses the methods that Freud developed. Also I do agree with the content advisory, thankfully I do not have to present my findings to the class, also none of my peers are cultured enough to have even heard of the film. I think I will stick with The Singing Detective for my project, as it deals with childhood trauma and it agrees with Freud's philosophy of when you deal with the past, you can heal in the future.
Once again thanks everyone!
PS, this site and its members are amazing :)
With loving care,
J.B.

Age (opt) 16

I tried to rent a copy of the Singing Detective, because it looks like a good film, but alas, my local store did not have it:(

Country USA

Buy it. It's worth it.

Country United States

just wondering about this question that was asked.

i thought of "in dreams". Vivienne was such a troubled person (if a bit psychotic!)

do you think he may have suffered from schizophrenia?

after all he had a childhood trauma which i think contributed to his condition.

the ending was what made me ask whether he was suffering from a mental disorder such as schizophrenia or some other condition.

this is also another movie you should see even though it is a bit creepy. robert was once again outstanding.

cheers
fiona

Country australia

Age (opt) feel 18!

Actually, Dan Dark suffered from acute psoriatic arthritis, a disease so painful that it causes hallucinations and delusions. Mel Gibson as the shrink tries to help Dark cope and find his way back to mental stability as his treatment progresses, unearthing childhood traumas that contributed to the breakdown in his marriage in the process. So, a good film for looking at the psychiatric process, but I have to agree that "The Soloist" would be a better example for your report. I believe "In Dreams" is more about a sociopathic personality emerging from an abusive childhood and extreme trauma.

Country USA