SMILIES       BB-CODE       FORUM GUIDELINES       SITE DONATIONS       CONTACT ADM
General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: RDJ replaced in Iron Man? NEVER!!

I didn't insult him, Fiona. The point is it is a fact that an actor will always be replaced by somebody younger as he gets older. They have done it with James Bond, for example. Imagine Angelina Jolie was in her late forties or early fifties when they decided to make a new Lara Croft franchise. Do you think they would hire her again for the role? I don't think so, because she would be too old. They would hire a younger actress.
Don't get me wrong. Robert is great as Tony Stark. He has made this character his own. Granted, his acting made the Iron Man movies a huge success. However he will be replaced by a younger actor some time in the future, like any other actor in a movie franchise. That's inevitable.

Oh My God...!

I simply cant believe why all of you guyz are even discussing this topic and kinda fighting over it

firstly and foremost ROBERT HAS NOT BEEN REPLACED AS TONY STARK ....

and secondly we get to see him as Tony in coming IRON MAN 3 and many other blockbuster movies.

and thirdly isn't it completely HIS choice whether he wanna continue being TONY STARK.....IF he wanna continue this role or leave it we as his truly faithful die hard fans will completely be on his side and cheer for him ,appreciate him and BELIEVE in him Forever .

I personally really don't even care what character he plays or leave ....what ever he does he does it BRILLIANTLY and whatever he doesn't like , he doesn't do it
I think he knows when it is enough.

Country India

Age (opt) 30

M
I didn't insult him, Fiona. The point is it is a fact that an actor will always be replaced by somebody younger as he gets older. They have done it with James Bond, for example. Imagine Angelina Jolie was in her late forties or early fifties when they decided to make a new Lara Croft franchise. Do you think they would hire her again for the role? I don't think so, because she would be too old. They would hire a younger actress.
Don't get me wrong. Robert is great as Tony Stark. He has made this character his own. Granted, his acting made the Iron Man movies a huge success. However he will be replaced by a younger actor some time in the future, like any other actor in a movie franchise. That's inevitable.

It's only inevitable if they decide to do another Iron Man movie after RDJ has retired. There have been many great actors who have continued to play leads well into their 60's.
RDJ is brilliant as Tony Stark - if they replace him while he is still willing to do the part, then they are fools. Fools to take a chance on a new guy when they have a proven winner willing to do it.
I'd probably see the movie when it's out on DVD, but I don't think i'd go out of my way. As someone who loves to watch RDJ, seeing a movie that "could" have had him, but doesn't would probably leave me feeling that there was s huge gaping hole in the film. And that wouldn't be fair to the poor schmoo who signed on to try and fill his shoes.
It's not about getting worked up. If you love chocolate and someone says "well, have vanilla, it's good too" - you'd probably say "maybe...but I really love chocolate".

Country USA

Age (opt) 47

M
Pearce Brosnan was replaced by a younger actor called Daniel Craig because he was getting older. The same thing will probably happen to Robert because he is approaching the big 5. 0. He is not in his prime now. How does he know that no other actor could step into his shoes? What's his problem? He is full of himself. He is not the only talented and charismatic actor on earth. They can find an actor who has as much talent and charisma as him. I can see one actor in the role of Tony Stark: Dominic Cooper. Dominic Cooper came to my mind because he played Tony Stark's father in Captain America, The First Avenger, and I saw lot of Tony Stark in his character. I saw talent and charisma in Dominic as well. I think he looks like the character in the comics. He could easily step into Robert's shoes.

You Know M

this post is really hurting and i think you shouldn't write this kind of stuff about him in this forum...

How could you even wrote this line
"The same thing will probably happen to Robert because he is approaching the big 5. 0. He is not in his prime now. How does he know that no other actor could step into his shoes? What's his problem? He is full of himself. He is not the only talented and charismatic actor on earth."

...what is your problem this is a forum where we support ROBERT not to ridicule him

you should stop writing i this forum

Country India

Age (opt) 30

M. you might be right when you say that RDJ cannot play Tony Stark forever in case Marvel wants/would like to transform the Avengers into movies "à la James Bond".
But coming here and say that RDJ is full of himself, i think you should expect these sort of reactions.

This said and in the hypothesis of the above happening, i'm pretty sure RDJ's Tony Stark will be considered the best one. (As i'm considering Sean Connery the best and unique James Bond, even though i enjoy almost all the JB movies). Ok, as of now we don't have terms to make comparisons, but it will be quite difficult to portrait a better Tony Stark than the actual one. And this is not said only from "us", RDJ fans, but also from comic book geeks who consider RDJ the personification of Tony Stark. I have read Avengers reviews of pre-screenings for fans with various comments for all characters/actors and when it comes to RDJ it is usual to find the words "oh well, what can i say about RDJ, he is Tony Stark, so..."

Aaaaaanyway...time will tell....and we all be here to discuss again

Country Italy

Age (opt) 37

Don't get me wrong. I agree with you: Robert is a great Tony Stark. He is definitely Tony Stark. His portrayal of the character will be considered to be the best. No doubt about that. However it doesn't mean that whoever will replace him some time in the future can't do as good a job as him. It doesn't mean his Tony Stark/ Iron Man will not be as good as Robert's. Before you criticise a new actor's portrayal of Tony Stark/ Iron Man you need to see it. You can't form an opinion on something without seeing it. You might be right but you might be wrong as well. You might be pleasantly surprised. You never know.
I said he was full of himself because he thinks nobody else could step into his shoes. I said that because I was shocked by his statement. I thought: 'why did he say that? How does he know nobody else can play Tony Stark?. 'He thinks he is irreplaceable. He sounds arrogant to me. That's not like him, because anybody who has met him says he is a nice guy.

Exactly because we know from many people who met and spoke with him that he is a down to heart and a sweetheart guy, we should take those words as an exaggeration, i don't know how to say it.
And come on...he is riding and enjoying this great franchise, what should he have answered, oh yes the next guy will be welcome!

Country Italy

Age (opt) 37

Woah, calm down, Nina.

Nobody is irreplaceable. It is not an opinion. It is a fact. As I said, I was shocked by his comment. I have the right to be shocked and comment on it, haven't I? He implied that he was the best Tony Stark/ Iron Man and nobody else could do as good a job as him. I have never heard any other actor say ' he would hate for somebody else to think they could step into his shoes'. Sean Connery, Roger Moore and Pearce Brosnan ( I consider the best James Bonds ) knew they wouldn't play James Bond forever and they accepted the fact that they would be replaced by other actors. None of them has said he is the best James Bond and nobody else is good enough to step into his shoes. I hope you understand why I said Robert was full of himself and pretentious. It was at least the impression I got after reading his quote. Granted, he is a great Tony Stark. He made this character his own in the same way Johnny Depp made the Jack Sparrow character his own. I agree he is a fine actor but he is one of the best actors in Hollywood, not the best actor in Hollywood. He should show more humility and accept the fact that he is not irreplaceable. There are plenty of other talented actors who could step into his shoes. He should eat his words. I am not bashing or insulting him.
That's all.

M
Woah, calm down, Nina.

I agree he is a fine actor but he is one of the best actors in Hollywood, not the best actor in Hollywood. He should show more humility and accept the fact that he is not irreplaceable. There are plenty of other talented actors who could step into his shoes. He should eat his words. I am not bashing or insulting him.
That's all.

Hello M! First, you are completely right...no actor is irreplaceable.
Second, you ARE being disrespectful by calling our Robert "arrogant, "full of himself" and saying "he should eat his words".
As some of the others have stated - What would you have him say to those interviewing him??? 'Nah! I'm just a nobody and any actor can do as well as me.'
PLEASE! He is selling the Tony Stark persona! As he should do! When the cameras are filming and the mic is on - Robert is acting!
Those of us who have had the pleasure of meeting him and speaking to him will all tell you - he is totally sweet, down to earth,and not the least bit conceded or full of himself! Not at ALL!

So, let's keep thing respectful in this thread! Of Robert and of each other! Thanks!

Country Arizona - USA

Age (opt) a few more than Robert

M I totally get you, you are right nobody is irreplaceable but I would advice you not to make comments of Robert being full of himself if you don't want all of us to attack you, cause as others have said after all this is a ROBERT DOWNEY JR FAN SITE so... I guess it's a little dangerous to make a comment like that. Ok it is your opinnion we respect it but you should too respect the fact that we are not going to react nicely at those comments, maybe you should think twice about the way you post you comments cause to us it was offensive. And I totally agree with Dr.Sues, I don't have the pleasure to have met Robert in person but from ALL the interviews, videos, etc you could see he's such a nice down to earth guy, and as someone said already: What would you answer someone who asked you what do you think if someone will replace you in you work? I agree Robert has the talent to do more than comic book movies BUT THAT'S WHAT HE LOVES sand he has worked so hard to get where he is so now he has the priviledge to decide what movies he wants to make and for someone to come and say :Oh he's old he will be replaced, how would you feel if someone told you that?

I'm not saying he won't be replaced just because of whom he is but to say that RIGHT NOW (with avengers on cinemas all around the world making A LOT OF MONEY and iron man 3 around the corner) when there's no need to say it it's offensive

Country Mexico

Age (opt) 23

Sugus,

What I am saying is it is not unusual for an older actor to be replaced by a younger one. It is not an insulting remark. It is a fact. An actor can also be replaced for any reason other than his age. Edward Norton was replaced by Mark Ruffalo to play Hulk, and yet Mark is older than Edward. I can't comment on that because I have no idea why Edward didn't reprise his role in the ' Avengers '.
As for Robert, he is still young enough to play Tony Stark but I doubt he will still play this character when he is 60. The thing is people want to replace you when you reach 50 because they consider you too old. I understand how you feel about that. Believe me, I am against 'ageism' or discrimination against over 50s. It is not fair, of course. You are going to say 40 is the new 20 and 50 is the new 30. That's true. People are living much longer than before. Age doesn't always mean anything. It is true that you can still be in very good physical and mental health after 50. I must admit how surprised and impressed I was when I saw Robert on top form especially in the first Sherlock Holmes movie. He is very physical for a man his age. I found out he was practising martial arts in real life. Mind you, in an airport I saw a passenger in a T-shirt that says ' I may be old but I can still kick your arse' . That means ' don't mess with me even if I am three decades older than you'. That was funny.

Seriously I didn't say I expected him to be replaced just now. I still want to see him play this role for as long as he can. I am looking forward to seeing the third installment next year.

I totally get you. I think too that he will be replaced in a future, after all who is saved in Hollywood? None. But it is going to be so hard to find an actor who can fill his shoes, that I'm certain, and people (specially us) will always be comparing the performances and praising RDJ's work.

I'm really glad that you saw your mistake, I never took it for you to be a troll, just be careful.

What makes me mad (and not with you M) and I keep saying is WHY bringing the subject now? Why does the producer have to make those comments when there's no need for it? Anyways...

Country Mexico

Age (opt) 23

This thread has been beat to death.
Robert IS Tony Stark until HE decides Not to be!
The End.

Country Arizona - USA

Age (opt) a few more than Robert

Hello Dr Sues,

Don't take it the wrong way.
Now that you have clarified his quote I admit I was wrong about him. You said it was just an act and he wasn't serious when he said that. Sorry, I misinterpreted his words. Believe me, I didn't think he was arrogant or full of himself until I read his quote. On the contrary,
I thought he was a nice guy and down to earth, with no big ego based on comments from people who have met him, so it came a shock to me. I didn't mean to insult him and offend the posters here. I am not a troll, and I wouldn't post stupid comments like ' he is an awful father to his sons', ' the guy can't dress himself properly. It happens when his wife is not there to babysit him' , ' he always plays himself or acts the same in every movie he's in' ( quotes from trolls who post on the IMDb board for RDJ).
He is a great actor and he has proved he is perfect for the role of Tony Stark/Iron Man. I didn't say he would be replaced right now. I still want to see him play Tony Stark until he says he is done with it. I like his Tony Stark and Sherlock Holmes but I would like to see him take different roles in any film genre between his franchises for a change.

How do you know there isn't any actor out there who has Robert's talent and charisma? How do you know there isn't any actor out there who could do justice to the role of Tony Stark or make the future Iron Man movies successful? Based on what? How would you know if you don't see any new Iron Man movie with a new lead actor?

Don't you think it is time Robert took roles that are of his acting level? He is wasting his talent on these Marvel pop corn flicks.

Re: RDJ replaced in Iron Man? NEVER!! to M

I don't understand what your problem is; we, as fans of RDJ, are saying that we wouldn't care for Iron Man as played by anybody else. Of course, anyone could be brought to play Tony Stark, we just wouldn't care about the character anymore because it wouldn't be as good as Robert.
For instance, I won't be seeing the new Spiderman because to me, TM is the best Peter Parker and if I've got his movies to enjoy, why would I invest my time in a lesser act?
I am glad Robert brought class and quality to the role of Iron Man, because it's showed other actors that these roles can be fun to play but honorable as well.

Country Guatemala

Age (opt) 51

I don't undersand why you get so worked up when an actor is replaced by another one.
It's not a big deal.
How do you know the Iron Man character would not be as good if it was played by a different actor? How do you know the new actor who plays Spiderman will not be as good as Tobey Maguire? Based on what? You haven't seen anything yet. It is hard to make a judgement on something you haven't seen. You don't know if a new actor will not be as good as his predecessor until you see the movie.

Geeze, you still don't get it. What I'm saying is that I don't care if they bring another actor 'cause as far as I'm concerned, the RDJ movies are so good they're enough for me. I love Robert as Tony, and that's the only Tony I need. Or take Tobey, for instance; there are many reasons why I love his PParker and one of them is that he looked like a teen, which is more than I can say for the new actor, and that's the first thing that put me off this reboot.

Country Guatemala

Age (opt) 51

You don't understand what I am saying, Lisbeth. You won't be seeing the new Superman movie just because you think Tobey Maguire is the best Peter Parker/ Spiderman and nobody else could step into his shoes. I agree with you on Tobey's performance. He is a great Peter Parker/ Spiderman. He did a great job. He is a fine actor. What I am saying is you can't say his replacement in the new Spiderman movie is not as good as him. You haven't seen his performance so you have no idea how he plays the role. I can't get how you can judge a new actor without seeing his performance. You are just making assumptions, and you have nothing to back them up. You won't be seeing a franchise movie with a different lead actor based on the assumption that he couldn't do justice to the role. I understand it is your choice but that's stupid, and it shows how closed-minded you are.

Aaaaaw, I'm touched at how worried/indignant you are that I might miss the new Spiderman extravaganza... Really, you bring tears to my eyes...! (sounds of Kleenex being hastily pulled to wipe nose)
Ok, here's the thing: I keep an eye on my time; I tend to go overboard with my likes -when I like something, I dedicate attention and resources to it: I collect movies, magazines, and I write fanfiction too. What I mean is, I don't need to see a new Spiderman ---or a new Iron Man for that matter: I'm too invested on this one. It's like a relationship of sorts, and I'm enjoying every minute of it!

Oh, and in case you're worried that I'll tell my pals at Sony to stop promotion of the new SP movie, you can relax, I'm not gonna do that.
I hope you (finally) get it. Meanwhile, I've got losts of Tony/Avengers fanfics to write.

Country Guatemala

Age (opt) 51