SMILIES       BB-CODE       FORUM GUIDELINES       SITE DONATIONS       CONTACT ADM
General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: REVIEW (no spoilers): "Iron Man 3": Best of the Iron Man Series By a Mile

Thanks for the insights. I was a bit drained when I left the showing last evening -- the pacing was so brisk that I felt overwhelmed by the action scenes. I like a film with "rests" between the "let's blow-a-bunch-of-stuff-up" sequences so I have time to process what I just saw. Shane Black's direction was so relentless, I felt like I was getting visually hammered.
That said, I loved how they shook up Tony (literally), and of course, the way Robert played all of that angst, anxiety and stress was terrific. And now that I've had 24 hours to process, I'm remembering all of the really great scenes between the stellar cast. Loved Rebecca Hall's Maya Hansen - great work with very limited screen time. Guy Pearce was fantastically twisted; Ben Kingsley...what can I say without a a whole bunch of spoilers except that he was marvelous. I thought Don Cheadle got cheated - they talked about the buddy-movie style in many interviews prior to release, and then gave us very little of that. And what they did with Gwyneth's Pepper Potts was shocking - I read DC Comics growing up, so wasn't clued in to the Extremis and Iron Legion story lines, nor aware of how Pepper became a "super" in her own right in the comic books. Ty Simpkins was perfect. The "heart" of the film was in Tony's stay with Harley, with T so vulnerable and this annoying but sweet kid pushing all of his buttons. Good stuff!
Anyway, I plan to see"IM3" again tomorrow. Still trying to wrap my head around the film's conclusion (and hoping it won't be the last time we see Robert as Tony).
I suspect at least some of the negative ratings are due to irate comic book fans (we know how protective they are about favorite characters and staying true to the original comix stories). The Mandarin is a favorite villain, and many reviewers have been all over how they rewrote (took too many liberties with) his storyline. And you know how movie fans expect each sequel to ramp up from the previous film. It would be so difficult to top the success of "The Avengers" given that the creative team was different (although I saw a thanks to Joss Whedon in the final credits, so wonder if he had his fingers in a few scenes?).
I'm just grateful they gave Robert such a good script to play with. Now we get to repeat-view so we can gather all of his quirky and spot-on line readings and hilarious facial expressions. Can't wait for the DVD...

Country USA

Mary P.

If you don't like Shane Black, if you can't parse his particular brand of sardonic wit and brainy action, you may not like this movie -- but calling it a "disappointment" is a stretch, folks. That's your opinion, and like you know what, everyone has one. But you can't judge this movie based on the first two Iron Man movies.

I do agree with most of what you write, but the above quote bugged me a little. Isn't that exactly the point, that everything anyone feels about this movie is THEIR opinion? There's just no "right" or "wrong". And yes, everyone has one. Just as of course you can only ever be disappointed if you expected something in the first place. But of course people will expect some things and compare the movie to the other Iron Man movies rather than to KKBB, as it is, after all, a sequel. And that's ok, as much as it is ok that they're playing with certain expectations and breaking some of them. Wouldn't it be boring otherwise? ;)

Thing is, I loved the movie! Really! And I will see it again, a third time. And maybe even a fourth. And I usually don't do that. But I also don't feel that I am not allowed to say that I may have welcomed some AC/DC somewhere, for example ;)

I do, however, agree with the "maybe too smart", as a lot of people seem to be bothered with the Mandarin plot, which I totally don't understand. I mean, the purpose was not to make a 1:1 movie adaption of the comics and I think the way they dealt with the Mandarin is absolutely brilliant and very smart. I am actually a little hurt by the way the critical reviews developed during the last week, the movie was well over 90% until then on rotten tomatoes and it's currently at 79. And I think it deserves a lot better than that! While I may sound like the devils advocate here, the things I "criticize" are seriously absolutely minor and I feel that it should have scored way above 90%... I guess the last word isn't yet spoken, but I doubt it'll make it up to 90 again...

The only other thing I find important I want to mention here: Wholly pointed out to me that Shane Black said somewhere that they cut about 75 minutes out of the movie! And obviously without knowing what they're about, I could very well imagine that they would make the movie feel a little less rushed. I do very much hope that there will be some sort of DVD/blu ray release that includes most of this, that would be pure awesome!

Ok, let's face it, all in all it comes down to "the movie should have been longer". I absolutely loved it, I agree that it needs repeated viewings to get even better and I can't wait to go to see it again :)

Country UK

Age (opt) 29

I saw the film again on Sunday, and loved it so much more. The plot was so complex the first time, I think I was just struggling to keep up. On the second viewing, I was able to focus in on the actors, great scenes and Robert's wonderful development of Tony from an fast-quipping, adorable walking ego to an actual grownup (without losing the quips and adorable). Definitely recommend going to see it again. Box office has been great, but all of us fans should strive to recommend it to friends, because of the weirdness of the second-round critics. When you're a big target, you have to learn to expect some low blows...
Some of the critics are being harsh (in the wake of the Boston Marathon bombings) about the funny script mixing with the terror theme.. i.e, Hollywood once again "not taking the world we live in seriously." (Um... not really that kind of movie. Go see "Zero Dark Thirty" if you want serious.)
I suspect this film will grow in esteem as we gain more distance from the events of April in Boston. And likewise re the Blu-Ray/DVD Extra footage; can't wait to see what did not make the final cut. Heading out tomorrow for another showing...

Country USA

So **** True Mary......"an acute observation" i can say

It is truly the best Iron Man i have ever seen. I have already saw it thrice and every time i am liking it more...the script is actually brilliantly written..a true Shane Black style which made me like it more...narrative, Humanly....got to see more of TONY STARK rather than his suit bashing up bad guys.

And the huge twist was like hilarious...even Jarvis seemed to be more humanly rather than just a programming, not like comic book at all...and that made it most special about it all
The press van part specially made me fall of the seat laughing
Pepper Potts(Gwyneth) was simply awesome and so was Rhodeys part "WARMACHINEROCKS" seriously

But all in all ROBERT really nailed it....A true IRON MAN FINALE!

Country India

Age (opt) 31