Wattle Aviaries Message Board

Forum: Wattle Aviaries Forum
Start a New Topic 

Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Controling spiders in aviaries

Hi Kate

The product that I use was recommended by an avian vet. It controls all insects within an aviary. it is called Coopex and can be purchased at most pet shops, hardwares, etcv. You mix it up and spray around the walls, edges, corners etc of the aviary, ensuring you don't directly spray any water, feed/seed sources/containers or onto any of the birds themselves. It dries pretty quickly.
Keep in mind though, that this will kill any live food sources as well - ie if you have finches, quail who rely on the moths etc within their aviary, this will kill all moths - thus removing that supply for a little while.
Hope that helps.

Email  

Thanks for your response Michael I will give it a try.
Kate

Email  

you could buy a pair of Jacarinis...they love spiders and use the webs for nesting :)

I to use coopex.I spray it every three or so months.it works a treat.As Michael said be careful around your live food areas.

Email  

Coopex will not harm the birds in any way, the reason I am asking is that my 3 alexandrine parrot cages which are kept in a room of their own, is a breeding ground for german cockies, i've killed 1000's of the little b.... and am still going. Will it work on cockies as well????

Email  

Dont think coopex works on cockroaches , Ive recently used coopex for the first time in ans around my aviaries and while it has got rid of the ants I now see the odd cockroach which Ive never seen before , so I assume NO it doesnt really help with cockies.

Email  

Hi All, I have been using over the last 12 months, a 'Professioal Insectoride' against spiders,ants,cockies and the like, in and around my aviaries, as well as around the house. The product has 'Deltamethrin' in it which I believe to be a synthetic Pyrethrin. The product made by Bayer is 'Cislin 25'. Ofcourse any contact with food,water should be avoided as well contact with the birds. I believe it does work on contact as well as residual. In North Qld I have seen no ill effects on the much loved geckos and frogs, which of course I do not directly spray. Cheers Kel

Email  
Get your own FREE Forum today! 
Report Content ·  · Web Calendars   Counters & Site Stats   Free Web Tools   Free Web Hosting 
powered by Powered by Bravenet bravenet.com