Cherish Classic Songs Didn't You Used To Be Daydreamer The Definitive Collection Up to Date  A Partridge Family Christmas Card Sound Magazine The Partridge Family Notebook Halloween Howls

The David Cassidy Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Did Anyone go to the Ocean City Concert?

Sunfest may be cancelled, but music will play on
Ocean City concerts, Dewey Beach Elvis Festival are good to go
By Roger Hillis and Pete Beisser

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ocean City, Md.'s three-day Sunfest event has been canceled due to advance concerns about Hurricane Isabel, but concerts by two of the featured performers have not. The shows have been moved to the indoor Ocean City Convention Center on Coastal Highway. Country star Phil Vassar will play Friday, Sept. 19 at 8 p.m., with tickets remaining at $10, $20 and $25. Former Partridge Family heartthrob David Cassidy will perform Saturday, Sept. 19 at 8 p.m., with the same ticket prices. Premium seats ($35, $2 for each show are sold out.

Cassidy told the Beachcomber that concerts are a labor of love for him. "I just love to play," he said. "I love to make people laugh and make people sweat. There's something to watching someone who's been doing it for 25 years. It's a celebration, really, for me and for them. The shows have been real high energy. It's great to be a part of that."

He assures his audience that the '70s pop hits that made him famous will be the primary focus of his Ocean City show.

"They come to hear things they know you by," he said. "They want to hear familiar songs. If you see any artists, you don't want them to play their new album. It's been fresh because I haven't been out playing night after night, year after year. I hear other artists that are sick of playing the same songs. I don't feel that way because I haven't been playing them for 30 years."

It may be hard for some of his fans to accept, but the 1974 teen idol version of David Cassidy is certainly not the David Cassidy of today -- a 52-year-old entertainer who has evolved and matured since the hit ABC television show "The Patridge Family" initially left the airwaves almost 30 years ago.

Cassidy says he wasn't seeking to become a teen heartthrob when he initially recorded those hits after landing his famous TV role in 1970.

"I wasn't looking to become a pop star, I was an actor trying to make a living at it a year out of high school," he said. "It happened because I was an actor. I wasn't auditioning to become a pop star."

But a pop star he soon became with a fan club whose membership numbers exceeded those of Elvis Presley and the Beatles.

With hits like "C'mon Get Happy," "I Woke Up in Love This Morning," "Cherish," "Rock Me," "Breaking Up Is Hard To Do" and the best selling record of 1971 -- "I Think I Love You," Cassidy wound up selling 25 million records and became the highest paid performer in the world at age 21.

"The music (for The Partridge Family) was designed for the character, but I learned as a result of it," he said. "I worked with the greatest songwriters in history. From all these great writers, I learned to be songwriter. I learned what you could never learn in 20 years of college. As a songwriter if I get a great idea and if I like it, other people will like it."

The older and wiser Cassidy has kept busy. Before embarking on his current round of solo shows -- his first in decades -- he worked for a decade in live theater, from playing the title role in the original Broadway production of "Joseph & His Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat" to starring and producing several popular Las Vegas shows. Cassidy even earned the Best All Around Performer and the Best Singer awards for his three-year starring role in "EFX" at the MGM Grand.

"It's always been about the work for me," he said. "Doing good work and not being particularly interested in fame. You don't survive 30-plus years going after fame or money. You can be successful in a flash. To sustain it is really about the work."
------------------------------------------
Did anyone get to go?

Re: Did Anyone go to the Ocean City Concert?

The Friday concert was postponed until Sunday, and the Saturday concert went ahead as planned.

Parts of Maryland were very badly affected by the hurricane, some places without power and water.

Not heard any reviews yet though, poor David, blizzards in Toronto in March and a hurricane in Maryland, Hope the weather settles for Thanksgiving weekend, otherwise my friends will have to drag me kicking and screaming onto that plane!!! lol

Re: Re: Did Anyone go to the Ocean City Concert?

I heard there was still alot of people without power yesterday. That makes quite a few days... huh? No reviews I live 4 them lol... A the very least I can pretend I was there.

Does this mean U R going to get to C David in the USA???

Re: Re: Re: Did Anyone go to the Ocean City Concert?

I saw David in Turf Valley Resort, MD which was rescheduled from Friday September 19th to Sunday Sept 21st, the night AFTER Ocean City. I will give you a review shortly (I have to run right now) but was awesome and looked beautiful! I heard from other fans that Ocean City Sun Fest got moved inside but David still played because he didn't want to disappoint his fans! Sweet! Also, Turf Valley had a power outage and they had no rehersal but we didn't care! We love him anyway!

PS. My friend and I ran up and gave him flowers!

Linda

Re: Re: Re: Re: Did Anyone go to the Ocean City Concert?

Yes, I did attend David's concert in Ocean City, Md at the Convention Center! I was pleasantly surprised to see that David wore the same "signature" colors in clothing as I did......"red satin shirt and tight black pants". He sang extemely well considering the city had been through a hurricane, and despite spilling water from a bottle a fan had given him earlier in the performance. He was joking of maybe "frying from an electrical jolt" from water mixing with the equipment onstage. I felt "uneasy" for the fans who quickly ran up to him on stage....thinking they may trip on the carpet and get embarrassed in front of him. I enjoyed the concert and one day would like to meet him like so many others.......and I would like to thank the "photographer woman" in a v.i.p seat who took me back safely to my hotel that wonderful night.......hopefully she will send me those photos of David Cassidy as she had promised......

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Did Anyone go to the Ocean City Concert?

Thank U!
Hope U get your photos and hope U will get to meet him one FINE day! Trust me it will B FINE ,just give him a little squeeze 4 me LOL... He is a sweet thang!

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Yes, I did attend David's concert in Ocean City, Md at the Convention Center! I was pleasantly surprised to see that David wore the same "signature" colors in clothing as I did......"red satin shirt and tight black pants". He sang extemely well considering the city had been through a hurricane, and despite spilling water from a bottle a fan had given him earlier in the performance. He was joking of maybe "frying from an electrical jolt" from water mixing with the equipment onstage. I felt "uneasy" for the fans who quickly ran up to him on stage....thinking they may trip on the carpet and get embarrassed in front of him. I enjoyed the concert and one day would like to meet him like so many others.......and I would like to thank the "photographer woman" in a v.i.p seat who took me back safely to my hotel that wonderful night.......hopefully she will send me those photos of David Cassidy as she had promised......

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Did Anyone go to the Ocean City Concert?

I am from Austria and the concert in Ocean City was my highlight of my vacation in the United States. Before the concert the electricity was gone for several times and I was already very worried about not seeing David for the first time in my life.
But everything went all right and I liked the concert very much. I never heard a singer talking so much in a concert. but it was very funny and the singing really perfect. I took also pictures but didn't get them yet. Hopefully they will be o.k.
christine

Re: Re: Re: Re: Did Anyone go to the Ocean City Concert?

Thank U! I can wait for a more detailed review, I think ...

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

I saw David in Turf Valley Resort, MD which was rescheduled from Friday September 19th to Sunday Sept 21st, the night AFTER Ocean City. I will give you a review shortly (I have to run right now) but was awesome and looked beautiful! I heard from other fans that Ocean City Sun Fest got moved inside but David still played because he didn't want to disappoint his fans! Sweet! Also, Turf Valley had a power outage and they had no rehersal but we didn't care! We love him anyway!

PS. My friend and I ran up and gave him flowers!

Linda