Cherish Classic Songs Didn't You Used To Be Daydreamer The Definitive Collection Up to Date  A Partridge Family Christmas Card Sound Magazine The Partridge Family Notebook Halloween Howls

The David Cassidy Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
David Cassidy's show is 'all about celebrating'

David Cassidy's show is 'all about celebrating'

By MaryAnn Kromer, mkromer@advertiser-tribune.com

David Cassidy was only nine years old when he first appeared on a daytime television show, "House on High Street." Forty-six years later, the showman still fills theaters with his energetic performances. Such will be the case when he takes to the Ritz Theatre stage for an 8 p.m. show May 21.
The television show "The Partridge Family," on which Cassidy starred for four years (1970-74), brought him into millions of homes and led to seven singles that hit the top of the music charts. "I Think I Love You" in 1971 won a Golden Apple Award and was the best-selling recording on that year.

Appearances on numerous television shows, lead roles in stage productions on Broadway and in Las Vegas, a rigorous touring and recording schedule - all have part of Cassidy's stellar career. So how did he end up in Tiffin?

"I said the same thing when they told me it was in Tiffin. I understand it's a beautiful theater and I think it's going to be a great night. I'm into celebrating," Cassidy explained in a phone interview.

The singer is grateful to his fans for remembering him even though he had separated himself from the music that made him famous. He calls his work in the entertainment business "another college" that was intensely and specifically educational.

"Working with some of the greatest writers, producers, song writers, musicians and all the rest, I got an education I couldn't have done in college," Cassidy said.

The concerts he is doing now are "for me and my fans." He plans to do many of his early hits, both his own and from the show, for the Tiffin audience. Cassidy also is promoting the release earlier this month of the DVD collection of "The Partridge Family" shows from its first year. Cassidy said it includes a CD with tracks that had never been released before, tracks he recorded at age 19 and 20, some before the show ever aired.

"It's touched so many millions of people all over the world and I've sold 25 million records. I'm very proud of the fact that people still love the music. It really holds up," Cassidy said.

The performer will be bringing seven musicians and vocalists to accompany him. He will play guitar for much of the show. He said he took up guitar after seeing the Beatles on the Ed Sullivan show. Now he has an acoustic segment in his show in which he takes the audience through his "musical journey," which he calls "a great ride."

Cassidy said his work is very physical, but working helps to keep him in shape. For recreation, he plays golf. Being outdoors in a beautiful setting helps him to relax. In addition, he enjoys going to the race track to watch several thoroughbred race horses he owns.

With such a long and active career, Cassidy said he is trying to find a balance in his life. He is excited his 14-year-old son has a strong interest in music and performing. Recently, the young man starred in a school production of "The Music Man." David and his wife, Sue Shifrin-Cassidy, sometimes compose music together. On his own, David has written many themes for television, as well as some original songs for his 2003 platinum album, "Then and Now."

The singer is considering his options to decide the next leg of his journey. One is a recording offer. Another is a "major commitment" to the theater. A third is a media commitment involving television and radio. He said he must consider how much he wants to work. About six months ago, he cut back his work by about 50 percent of what he had done for 15 years - and it felt good to him. He is finding it hard to change gears.

Both theater work and touring can be very demanding. Cassidy did more than 2,700 performances in Las Vegas. Just last year, Cassidy and Aaron Carter starred in a film called "Pop Star," which is expected to be released this summer. For the last three years, he's been all over the world. He will spend the next two months touring in the United Kingdom.

For his own listening, Cassidy has a "vast collection" of "organic stuff" - early rhythm and blues, and "big orchestrated stuff" like "Sinatra at the Sands." Cassidy especially enjoys music recorded in the 1940s, '50s and '60s. His more contemporary favorites include Sting and Eric Clapton.

Cassidy is looking forward to the intimate venue at the Ritz. He is hoping the audience will relax and enjoy the show.

"It's just about letting your hair down, having a great time," Cassidy said. "I don't have any scripted material. Every show I do is different, new and fresh. Every night, I approach it like it's the first time I've ever done it."

Tickets for David Cassidy range from $29-$69. They can be purchased at the box office, 30 S. Washington, online at www.ritztheatre.org or by calling (419) 448-8544