Cherish Classic Songs Didn't You Used To Be Daydreamer The Definitive Collection Up to Date  A Partridge Family Christmas Card Sound Magazine The Partridge Family Notebook Halloween Howls

The David Cassidy Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
And the Undergarments Fly Once More

DAVID'S PRETTY CERTAIN HE LOVES US

By Daniel Thomson, The Journal

70s teen idol David Cassidy returns to the North this week to perform with a host of former pop icons. Daniel Thomson caught up with the star of The Partridge Family.

It is no wonder that David Cassidy is looking forward to returning to Newcastle. The last time he was in the city he was showered with underwear and flowers.

And there is no reason to suspect that this time will be any different because that is what life is like when you have sold 25m records worldwide.

On Wednesday, David will be sharing the limelight with fellow 70s teen idols The Osmonds, The Bay City Rollers and David Essex in an all-star concert at the Metro Radio Arena.

So there's a fair chance the stage will resemble a ransacked lingerie department by the time the lights come up at the end.

But regardless of the prospect of raining underwear, David says the tour is going to be an extra special one for him, because it will be his last outside the US.

"It will be very emotional, but I am really excited about it at the same time," he says.

"It was a hard decision, but I made a promise to my 13-year-old son, Beau, never to leave the country for months at a time again and I intend to keep it.

"I've spent more than 30 years touring all over the world and I can't do that to my son or my wife any more."

But he said: "I've never lost the hunger and love performing in front of the fans as much now as I did when I first started and the fans in the UK are among my most loyal and appreciative."

David's long and colourful career began when he was cast in US TV sensation The Partridge Family, which began in 1970 and made him an international star.

By the end of that year, his face was gracing the cover of every teen magazine in the world and over the next five years his fan club became the largest in history bigger than those of Elvis or The Beatles.

He became the first celebrity to have his image merchandised globally on lunch boxes and clothes and had a string of hits remember I think I love You and Breaking Up Is Hard To Do.

Throughout the 80s and 90s he starred in stage and screen productions such as Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, Blood Brothers and The Rat Pack Are Back, which he co-wrote and directed.

"I'm feeling as creative as ever," he says.

"It has never been about the money or fame it's always been about the work and my fans who just continue to surprise me with how great they are.

"I'm really looking forward to returning to Newcastle. I was given a fantastic reception at the City Hall last time and I think the show is going to be a lot of fun for everyone.

"I'll be singing all the hits that the fans love, but I might throw in one or two new songs as well.

"I'm also going to be doing a 10-minute acoustic set. This is a new idea and something I've never done before, but I want to give the fans the impression they are just hanging out with me in my living room.

"It's a once in a life time concert that will give fans the chance to see David Cassidy, The Bay City Rollers and The Osmonds on stage together for the first time.

"I've never performed with other acts before, but I'm looking forward to it."

David lives in Las Vegas with his wife, songwriter Sue Shifrin-Cassidy, and Beau and has recently become co-executive producer of In Search of The Partridge Family on US music channel VH1.

He said: "I've got a number of television projects in the pipeline, including The New Partridge Family, and I may even return to Broadway.

"I've become famous all over again with teenage girls in America because of the new show. It's amazing and just goes to show that everything comes around in circles in this industry."

The Once in A Lifetime tour featuring David Cassidy, The Osmonds, Bay City Rollers and David Essex will be at the Metro Radio Arena on Wednesday. For tickets, tel: [0870] 707-800 or visit www.metroradioarena.co.uk

* The winners of our Once in a Lifetime competition are Dorothy Richardson, from South Shields, and Pauline Wylie, from Hebburn. Of course, The Partridge Family was the TV show in which David Cassidy found fame. Each gets two tickets to the concert.

Re: And the Undergarments Fly Once More

Unlock your chemistry potential with our Take My Chemistry Exam For Me service! Chemistry exams can be a complex mix of elements, but we've got the perfect solution. Our team of experienced chemistry experts is here to decode the toughest equations and ensure your success. Say goodbye to exam stress and hello to a chemistry grade that sparkles. Contact us today, and let us make chemistry your favorite subject! Your path to success starts here.