Webster

Forum: General Forum
Start a New Topic 
   Board|Threaded
Author
Comment
Jeays Top 10

1.Beachy Head 2.Turning of the Leaves 3.Perry County
4.Only This High 5.Here I Am 6.Mr Jeays 7.Faust's A Singer 8.Catherine 9.Laughing Song 10.Richenda.Not that you asked,but now you know.

Email  
Re: Jeays Top 10

You might have really started something here...
1. Razorblades and cigarettes 2. Cupid is a drunkard 3. Faust's a singer 4. Midnight in Trieste 5. Death Bed 6. The Tea Dance 7. I'll never be a patriot 8. Richenda 9. Mr Jeays 10. In my long grey coat.

1. Midnight in Trieste
2. Perry County
3. Mas de Bagne Loup
4. Only This High
5. Remember Me to the Roses
6. Beachy Head
7. When the Sun Goes In
8. October
9. Say You Love Me
10. London

The funny ones are great, and vital to break up a performance a bit, but I prefer these. Today, anyway.

Email  

Yes - interesting. We actually did a little poll a while back, before Mr Jeays came out, asking for people's top 12 - results as follows:

1= Terry's Dog
1= Death Bed
1= Geoff
4 Ed Is At The Ritz
5 Richenda
6= Cupid (and they all said 'original version' - but I love the jazz version. Bastards)
6= The Great War
6= Beachy Head
6= The Laughing Song
10= The Mas de Bagne Loup
10= Midnight in Trieste
10= Madame

So there you go - as you can see from all the 'equals' not a huge number took part, but interesting nonetheless.

Funnily enough I was just thinking today about a 'best of' album and what I might put on it, and these are the ones I put on my I Pod, in no particular order:

October
The Mas de Bagne Loup
Terry's Dog
Midnight in Trieste
Cupid
The Great War
Geoff
Say You Love Me
Death Bed
Beachy Head
When The Sun Goes In
Madame
Only This High
Here I Am
Mr Jeays

15 there - these are not necessarily my favourite songs, but songs that might give a Jeays virgin an idea of what I do - in other words some funny, some not - so if you can be arsed give me 2 lists - your own personal top ten, and the fifteen you would choose to try and convert the 59.99999999 million other bastards out there who for some reason persist in not making me a thoroughly objectionable and revolting multi-millionaire. By that do I mean the 15 most commercial songs? Don't know actually, I hadn't factored that in to my list - you decide.

Right, I'm off to the Mas de Bagne Loup on Monday for a week, back in time for the next gig at the Albany on March 29th, which Trapmuffin probably hasn't told about yet because she's fucking useless.

this seems like a suitable place to ask whether 'Cupid' or 'Lauhging Song' would be better for a compilation CD I'm sorting with Phil on to best represent him?!!

I havn't been able to decide

Email  

It's a dirty job, but someone's got to do it:

Cupid is a Drunkard
Richenda
Racing Days
Faust's a singer
Razorblades and Cigarettes
Mr Jeays
Death Bed
Ed is at the Ritz
Geoff
Terry's Dog
Ruben Garcia
Little Philip
The Laughing Song
Midnight in Trieste
& finally....
can't decide between Idiots in Uniforms or I'll Never be a Patriot.

Ok, JBJ, your turn?

If there really is going to be a best of CD,I would
suggest the inclusion of an unreleased track as a bonus for established fans.Perhaps What Would Singers
Sing.

Email  

131 views and only 6 replies? Come on, I know you're all out there shaking your heads and muttering under your breath about how much better your selection is than mine.
Well, prove it.

As a bit of a newbie (first encountering Mr Jeays at this year's Glastonwick), I've only got 2 CDs so far, so I'm not really in a position to put together a top 10.

However, I am wondering where the love is for "Seven Signs of Ageing". That's definitely the one that's been getting most repeat plays on my Zen.

Great set by the way. Can I say highlight of the festival? I think I just did.

Email  

0. We Can Fly
1. When the Sun Goes In
2. The Last Song
3. Idiots in Uniforms
4. Seven Sings of Ageing
5. Midnight in Trieste
6. Looking for a Horse to Ride
7. The Soldier
8. The Eyes of the Thief
9. Mr Jeays
10. The Mas de Bagne Loup

And "The Antelope", "Death Bed" because it's 'fuck'ing cool and cheered up a friend of mine whose brother had died, and "Sarajevo" because it's +- non-metaphorical though a bit schmaltzy.

One reason I've put this off is that it's hard to narrow it down to so few songs. I'd find it easier to list the songs that perhaps might not be so likely to dangle promises of sufficient ripeness to lure away the neophyte from his (or her) customary sonic chewing gum and bundle her (or him) into the back of the black Citroen Traction Avant - complete with whisp of Gauloises smoke and perfume of Absinthe and Ricard - that is the Jeays experience.

My suggested non-metric list of a dozen candidates for inclusion - and some may have been chosen and some omitted to excite debate - would be, in no particular order:

Ed is at the Ritz
Midnight in Trieste
Oh, to be a God
Only This High
Falling in Love Again
The Soldier
Richenda
The Mas de Bagne-Loup
The Man From del Monte
Madame
Here I Am
Mr.Jeays

When I think of the songs not on it, I weep, of course, and draw up another list which, in its turn, also makes me weep for its omissions. Bloody heartless lists. I think I'll make a list of my top ten least-liked lists.

Email  

Oh dear ... so tempting but ... I remember (trying to) take part in a similar poll on the Pete Atkin forum a year or two ago. I think some people find this sort of thing easier than others ... for me, it always depends on what mood I'm in. I'd be interested to know how the "poll" that Phil mentioned was conducted - was it at live gigs, or by e-mail? The reason I ask is that the top 3 are all popular songs at gigs and all are humorous to some degree, althouth "Death Bed" has its serious side of course.

I'm encouraged that "Midnight In Trieste" features so prominently - it's one of my favourites but I've never heard Phil sing it live. How about it then, Phil? When you re-emerge onto the live scene to rapturous applause from your adoring fans, and when you finally remember where Brighon is, how about giving "Geoff" a rest and giving us "Midnight in Trieste" instead?

Email  

Top ten from a fluid top twenty. Midnight in Trieste remains the fixed point in any selection of mine I think.

Midnight In Trieste
Catherine
Perry County
Tea Dance
Only This High
Racing Days
Love You Madly
In My Long Grey Coat
Little Philip
Remember Me To The Roses

If there is going to be a 'best of' then why not have another poll to decide which songs go on it? Then you could go off to the Mas de Bagne Loup and we can have the CD we want. I'll even throw in some tiffin.
Anyway my top 10 in no particular order:

1. The Good Old Days
2. The Knife
3. Richenda
4. Mr Jeays
5. Midnight in Trieste
6. What Would Singers Sing
7. October
8. Cupid (and yes, the jazz version)
9. Say You Love Me
10. Deathbed
11. Terry's Dog
12. Laughing song

Ok that's 12 but never mind. Any chance of seeing any of these in the north any time soon?

Email  

OK, here is my lot, in a fairly random order (and I haven't peeped at anyone else's)

1 Midnight in Trieste
2 The Mas de Bagne Loup
3 Fame
4 October
5 Falling In Love Again
6 Ruben Garcia
7 Don’t Walk Away
8 The Soldier
9 Sarajevo
10 Don’t Wait for Me

And I have to give a mention to:

The Antelope
Arles
The Raj
The Turning of the Leaves
The Great War
Here I Am

And all the others of course!

Jim.

Email  

Sorry I missed this topic till now

In no particular order:

Ed is at the Ritz
October
Say You Love Me
Geoff
Madame
Beachy Head
Death Bed
Thank You, British Airways
When The Sun Goes In
Here I Am
Mr Jeays

This does not imply criticism of songs not chosen!

I forgot Only This High.

Probably the first four songs on "Cupid is a Drunkard" too...

That's enough now.

Can I swap Terry's Dog for The Mas de Bagne-Loup please?

Email  

Phil, I have finally come up with my top 10. I'll probably change my mind tomorrow, but here is what I came up with just now:

1. Midnight in Trieste
2. Mr Jeays
3. Faust’s A Singer
4. Oh To Be A God
5. The Man From Del Monte
6. The Mas De Bagne Loup
7. I’ll Never Be A Patriot
8. Richenda
9. Perry County
10. The Knife

It's kind of in order. Nothing can beat Midnight in Trieste - although if I get to choose a song at Christmas I am going to choose The Old Granny Waltz. Ha.

See you in one week and a number of hours. Hurrah!

Email  
Get your own FREE Forum today! 
Report Content ·  · Counters & Site Stats   Free Blogs   Email Forms   Free Guestbooks 
powered by Powered by Bravenet bravenet.com