Welcome to the Jeays message board.

Webster

Forum: General Forum
Start a New Topic 
   Board|Threaded
Author
Comment
Brel at the Barbican

I see the Barbican are organising a Brel tribute night later in the year.

Is Mr Jeays part of the "and more" on the bill? And if not, to whom should we send our petitions/death threats to ensure this is corrected?

Email  
Re: Brel at the Barbican

No, nothing to do with me - but we are still looking at doing a Brel album with all new translations, though we have been thinking about it for quite a few years now, without actually getting on with it. But still, at least some of the translations are completed or very nearly completed, so that's a start...

How depressing. A Brel "tribute" night in 2009 named after an old Blau/Shuman lyric that has no connection with any Brel lyric.

A Jeays adaptations album would be so much better.

Ah yes - 'Carousel' - I hadn't even noticed!
We're planning to try and do a Brel album that replicates the original music as exactly as we can, no musical 'reinterpretations' or anything like that, just Brel as he was but in English instead - the hope being that just maybe people will understand in some small (and admittedly flawed) way exactly why I was so blown away by the man's genius in the first place.

Sometimes a cover can overshadow the original, which I think is what happened here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WU2D8t-THD4

I only got to about half way through the second verse...

...before you realised you might never honour Brel as well as that..? Don't throw the towel in just yet, I'm sure if you work hard enough you can be as passionate.

Get your own FREE Forum today! 
Report Content ·  · Online Photo Albums   Free Blogs   Free Guestbooks   Free Web Hosting 
powered by Powered by Bravenet bravenet.com