The BPF's LEP/PPS forum

Please use this forum to share experiences, swap ideas etc. on managing the late effects of polio/post-polio syndrome

Forum: The BPF's LEP/PPS forum
Start a New Topic 
   Board|Threaded
Author
Comment
Corrective surgery

I am not sure whether this is the right forum for this - so apologies if I've got it wrong.
I had polio at 18months and it has left me with my left leg two and a half inches shorter than my right, no calf muscle and my left foot 4 sizes smaller than the right. The last surgery I had was over 30 years ago and I think I have been lucky, polio has never slowed me down.However over the last few years I have suffered increasing pain in my ankle, lower leg and back . Orthotics have not really helped and I have recently been referred to an orthopaedic surgeon. He wants me to try a raise on my left shoe for 4 weeks and then he has suggested that I have 2 options - surgery to either lengthen my left leg or shorten the right(stronger) leg or to look at rectifying the scoliosis in my lower back.
This all seems rather drastic to me and I'd like to know if anyone has had any experience of either operations or what my other options could be.

Email  
Re: Corrective surgery - by henry. - Jun 25, 2004 2:19pm
Re: Re: Corrective surgery - by Ted Hutchinson - Jul 25, 2004 3:42am
Re: Corrective surgery - by Mari - Nov 7, 2007 8:07pm
Get your own FREE Forum today! 
Report Content ·  · Online Photo Albums   Free Blogs   Free Web Tools   Free Web Hosting 
powered by Powered by Bravenet bravenet.com