This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

>
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
tabs

hi i wanted to know how i can type something in for the tabs on the home page of my site the tabs are on the left i want to write stuff like forums and etc. But i can and I also want them to link to the page with the forus such as http://www.teamglendalevtec.bravehost.com/frm.htm

Re: tabs

This requires an image editor wiht text editing facilities, that let you write on the image, like Paint. You take the tab and convert it to an editable form, for me that is a bitmap. If you are saving it from somewhere, then right-click/Save as a bitmap. This should be done in a work folder of your making (You should always have a work folder of some kind).

Now, you've got the bmp and are going to work on it. decide or experiment with the font and font size by using the text editor of your image eidtor. In Paint, this is the square with the A on it.

You may have to make the bmp bigger. use stretch/skew. this works on percentages, thus 125 is one and a quarter as large. If you are going to make it bigger, choose a percentage that it is easy to return from. If you use 125 then the return size is 80. then do the writing by rolling the mouse over the area you wish to write in. selecting the top picture on the bottom of the tool select bar to get rid of the white while keeping in text mode. then working on the font, font size and font placement; just type what you want. Getting it to look right is done by experement. If you are not satisfied, then use backspace to erase what you have put in and work until you are happy, This takes practice. When you are fully satisfied. then save the result, convert this to a gif with your image converter and put it on your site, replacing the blank tab with it

This kind of thing takes practice, Bravenet has tabs or "buttons" in the clipart section that are pretty nice. If you decide to DIY Bravenet has some really nice fonts if you want it to be classy or some really crazy fonts if you want to go wild and anywhere in between.

Yet another little trick is to use a pkcute or graphic representation of what you have in mind then use in the IMG SRC tag ALT="" with the name of what you mean in the quote so that when the pointer is moved over that pic, the name comes up I do that on the main (not index) page at TIARA WORLD. This is better done with hobby sites than business ones. In fact, in business sites, many persons use a purely text link, forgoing the tab/button or any kind of graphic link on the left side; also called sidebar

Re: Re: tabs

ok but how do i link it to another page of my site

Re: Re: Re: tabs

The image tag goes between the opening and closing tags of the link.

Re: Re: Re: Re: tabs

well nevermind i just downloaded the home page to my pc and used frontpage2000 on it created the labels and also made the .gif image files so everything is running smooth would it be a good idea since im running the site graphics from my pc to make a duplicate file for all of them onto my other drive and also burn the files on disk?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: tabs

You are far better off working on your PC as the various PC based editors are far more versatile that Bravenet's on-line ones.

You will end up with a copy of your site on your PC and another on Bravehost. I wouldn't bother with additional back ups specifically for the web site but by all means include it in any general back up strategy that you have.