This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

>
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
ARTICLES AND DOCUMENTS

Hello can you tell me how I can make a library or something like it where I can present article's, bioghaphies, and documents but they need to be organized like a library so there very easy to find and read, I also want to add a magnifing glass to each page so persons like my self can see better, can you help? Thank you for your time

Re: ARTICLES AND DOCUMENTS

Second question first = the "magnifying glass" is a function of the software on the visitor's PC.

The fact that you are asking suggests that you are using Bravenet's on-line editor to create your site. The design you want is different from the standard format that they give you so you will need to move to one of the multitude of PC based editors that are on the market. From there it is just a matter of laying out the site as you want it.

Look at sites that do similar things and see how they do their layouts. Not to mention spotting the mistakes to avoid.

If you are using externally prepared documents you may find it better to present them in PDF format rather than converting them to html. If you do don't forget to provide a link to the Adobe web site so people can download the reader if necessary.

Search the web for PDF conversion programs, Adobe's own software is very expensive but I have found others.

Re: Re: ARTICLES AND DOCUMENTS

Ni Hao(Hello)Thank you Peter, Where can I find how to insert the adobe 6.0 on my site, will I have to download all the files that I want to adobe and insert the adobe link for downing, how's that done. I also would like to know will the word perfect 10 work in the same manner? And thank you again for your time

Re: Re: Re: ARTICLES AND DOCUMENTS

You can downlaod a free acrobat reader from the site linked above. Just put in a link to that location from your site if you are using PDF files.

Most PDF conversion software will mimic a printer so that it intercepts the .prn file rather than trying to read every possible format around. Find a suitable product and install on your PC. "Print" your documents and your will get a copy in PDF format. Upload this to your site and link. You don't put any Adobe software on your site, just treat the PDF files like any other file.

I recommend using PDF because of its wide availability, it presents documents as they should appear in print, and it doesn't include a scripting language so it is trusted not to drop nasties on the visitor's PC.

You could use MSWord's .doc format and link to their free reader. Personally I wouldn't download any Microsoft format file from a source I didn't trust implicitly as they can carry vba scripts that could do unexpected things.

Other word processors are not so widely accepted so you would have to save as .doc .pdf or.html to use them

Re: Re: Re: Re: ARTICLES AND DOCUMENTS

I thank you, I'll give it a try but what about the email, do we have a email account here for our sites?