>
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
how do i.......

how do i put a link in the nav bar?

Re: how do i.......

I assume you are talking about the site you have listed in your posting. IMHO the simplest method is to use the Text Editor, available through your account manager, and so a cut-and-paste. Currently your menu code looks like the following:

As you can see, there is only one list item,
  • for your home link. You can simply cut-and-paste this list item to create as many links as you want.

Note that only the first list item has the class="active" attribute. This is what highlights the menu item. If you were to use this same menu on other pages you would need to move that attribute to the appropriate position in the menu.

If you put more list items on the menu than can fit on a single screen, they will wrap around and give you a multi-line menu.

• Re: Re: how do i.......

Thats a website wizard creation..if they manually edit anything in the code, they can no longer use the wizard to do anything with their page.

Re: Re: Re: how do i.......

Yes, I know it's a Website Wizard creation. The Website Wizard is really only for beginners and has very limited capabilities. IMHO, once you have your basic structure set up you should graduate to the better editors where you can actually do something.

Re: Re: Re: Re: how do i.......

People who USE the website wizard have limited capabilities... telling them to make changes manually is only going to screw up their page and toss them unwittingly into an area they know nothing about.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: how do i.......

Quite true, but if they can't do what they want to do in the Webpage Wizard, then it's time to move on. When they start asking questions like this, they have realized the limitations and want to know what's next.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: how do i.......

Thats like saying they want to drive their car faster so its time to be a formula 1 driver... instead it is time to go to formula 1 school and learn the basics long before ever setting foot in a race car.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: how do i.......

That's a little overstated. I would not consider the editing tools available in your Account Manager in the "formula" catagory. They are only one step up from the Website Wizard and the next step in a users growth. The Visual Editor has lots of limitations also. They will realize that soon enough and want something better.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: how do i.......

Then let them realize it on their own..dont push them into a position where they cannot go back and thats exactly what you are doing by telling them to make manual changes to their wizard created site.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: how do i.......

I expect he realized this on his own and is the reason he posted to begin with. And after reading this thread, he certainly realizes it. Adding a couple of lines of code with a text editor doesn't destroy all of his work. If he goes back to the Website Wizard he would have found his old creation still in tact, without the modifications he wanted in the first place. I am not pushing. He is asking for suggestions and I am supplying one, rather than tell him he just can't do it.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: how do i.......

You are telling him to make some severe changes to his site without informing him of the consequences. Would he know his site was still intact? No... highly doubtful.

While your advice was certainly sound for anyone using a standard editor, it has the potential to destroy someones hard work in this environment.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: how do i.......

You know better than that. My suggestion was not a "severe" change. There was nothing wrong with you ammending my suggestion with a little warning and another alternative to solve his problem. That is how this forum is suppose to work. But you, simply told him nothing, except that he can't do it. What kind of help is that? Where was your suggestion?

And my apologies to Maugun, for having to put up with this. Your just starting out. The Website Wizard is exactly as it is advertised, for beginners. It is true that any changes you make with another editor will not be reflected in the database created in the Website Wizard. But is that such a big deal. Once you get your web site started you have to step it up to another level, because the Website Wizard become pretty useless. There is nothing scary about moving to the Visual or Text editor. Using them, along with referencing some to the tutorials provided, will slowly give you insight into the working of a web page. If you have any more questions feel free to post in the forum or email me directly.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: how do i.......

Your suggestion would have left him with a site he could no longer do anything with in the website wizard. Going back into it and finding all of his changed links back the way they were would have served only to confuse and frustrate even more than he was to begin with.

Your suggestion was a very severe change ... from that point forward the user is completely dependent on knowing and using HTML to do ANY changes... there is no going back unless the user wants to undo everything you have told him to do.

There is no alternative to solve his problem that does not entail moving the user out of the wizard.
    The wizard does not allow changing the order of links hence there is nothing else to suggest, ergo I made no suggestion. Wizard created links appear in the order they are created.. that cannot be changed without editing outside of the wizard which renders the wizard useless from that point forward.

Be careful with the advice you dispense to new webmasters... not all of them are ready to make the jump and by pushing them into a move like you suggested, with a band-aid solution only half explained, you could wind up frustrating them right out of a website.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: how do i.......

No, still don't buy it. It was not a drastic change and it would have destroyed nothing. He could have easily gone back to the Website Wizard and started again. People don't get into building web pages to get stuck in Website Wizard.

People don't learn without trying new things and going in new directions. I gave him a direction. You gave him a stop sign. Like I said before, if you don't like my suggestion, make a suggestion of your own and give him another direction. There are lots of people in these forums giving different types and styles of advice. I will continue to make my suggestions, as I see fit. If someone doesn't like it, that's OK, they don't have to follow it.