Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

>
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Can't connect with FTP

The note at BraveNet states:
You can use the FTP program of your choice to upload and download files to your site. There are many FTP clients available for free online.

I've been trying using the latest version of Fetch but I keep getting error messages when I try to log on. I've tried everything I can think of -- I can log onto my website without a problem, so why can't I use the FTP clients software of choice?

Re: Can't connect with FTP

I assume that you are trying to use Fetch because you are using a Mac. You may already have something on your machine that you can use to upload and download, in the form of a web browser. If you have Netscape or Internet Explorer on your machine, either one can be used in a FTP mode. Internet Explorer can even be configured to give you a folder view so your site looks like any other file system. Probably Netscape can be configured in the same way, but I don't remember were that is. To connect via FTP use a URL that looks like:

ftp://[username]@[hostname]

When it connects you will be prompted for your password. Just use the same username and password you use when you log into your account directly. Sometimes these connections have trouble, if your behind a firewall or working through a proxy, but you can usually make them work.