>
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Ftp Access

How do i know what port it is?

Re: Ftp Access

You shouldn't have to deal with a port number. Most FTP programs manage that all by themselves or you can simply rely on their default. However, if you are talking about
FTP access to your free web site, forget it. The only FTP access a free site user has is through the Java FTP Applet, available in you Website Hosting Manager.

Re: Re: Ftp Access

Bravenet appear to have slipped in FTP support for free hosting without any announcement (all the help still says it isn't available). You can find all the details that you need by logging into your account and selecting Web Hosting.

Re: Re: Re: Ftp Access

This is good news. They must have snuck that in when I had my head turned. I tried the FTP several times before, but I hadn't thought of using my Bravenet ID number. I'll have give a try later. Thanks!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Ftp Access

Seems to work without problem for me. At last, one program for all the sites I manage.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Ftp Access

Yes, it does seem to work fine. I tried several programs. First I tried a simple command line FTP. That worked and I was able to get/send fine. Then I tried FTP Explorer from Hummingbird. This is part of my X-Windows package. From behind a firewall and working through a proxy, it would not connect. However, outside of that environment it worked fine and was very quick to respond. I also tried Netscape and Internet Explorer. Netscape worked and gave the usual file/folder listing. Initially it prompted me for a password every time I tried to change folders. But I fixed that. Internet Explorer worked great. It worked on either side of the firewall and, when set up properly, gives you click-and-drag capabilities. It's just as if your web site is just a mapped drive.