This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

>
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Which free service is causing the pop-ups on our site?

We are using the Forums, Calendar, and the Mini Poll. I don't mind having the pop-ups when you go to Bravenet's site, like with the Forum or Calendar but I am getting pop-ups on our site just loading our site. I would like to remove the service causing the pop-ups on our site.

Can anyone tell me which of these services are causing the pop-ups on our site? Does Bravenet offer a package price for a group of services, like three for one price or are they all individually priced? Thanks for any help.

Re: Which free service is causing the pop-ups on our site?

All of the services have advertising. To remove, purchase a pro upgrade for each service.

Isn't that the most annoying thing? And they are big and flamoyant, not to mention ugly. It is on ALL free bravenet applications unless you pay them for 'pro' to remove the ads. One of those strings attached things that they don't tell you about(except in the very small print of the user end agreement... slowly and carefully). If you have a popup blocker that takes care of that. :P

Later!

Re: Re: Which free service is causing the pop-ups on our site?

On the contrary, Bravenet has always been completely up-front about the fact that their services are ad-supported.

How do you think they pay the bills that their members run up by using the services?

Re: Re: Re: Which free service is causing the pop-ups on our site?

>>How do you think they pay the bills that their members run up by using the services?<<

I suppose you got me on that one. Maybe we can suggest they make the ads less in-your-face-blocking-all-content-until-closed?

I was never aware of the ads until one day I forgot to turn on the popup blocker and then *pop* a big in-your-face-read-me ad.

Later!

All services are individually priced.

From time to time people claim that simply having a link to a service generates pop-ups and promptly get flamed on the grounds that it is legitimate to put ads on the service itself.

A simple link to a Bravenet service should not cause a pop-up to appear and I have never experienced.

1. Cross check on another machine. The problem could be down to adware on your own PC.
2. Create test pages one service each to see where the issue is/
3. Don't use Bravenet graphics to link to the services (only required for the hit counter)

Re: Re: Which free service is causing the pop-ups on our site?

The only Bravenet service that will cause anything to appear on your own site rather than on the Bravenet service linked to your site is the Traffic Exchange service. That service produces one popunder page for each visitor to your site (that is what the service does - your nominated page appears in the popunder page behind other members sites).

If you are getting popups appearing on your own web pages then they are not being caused by your use of Bravenet services. It is either something else you have added to your page from elsewhere or adware on your own computer.

regards,
Stephen Chapman

Ask Felgall for Computer Help
Focus on Javascript

I've seen no pop-ups for a couple of days now. Has anyone else seen a pop-up on our site? I think it may have been a problem with Bravenet's scripts as it was the same pop-up that I was seeing on the Bravenet Forum we use on our site.

They still seem to be having problems though, it took 2:30 minutes for our Forum page to load, 1:10 minutes for the Calendar to load on a broadband connection. Their home page loads fine but any link on their home page takes 2-5 minutes to load. Could be a problem with one of their advertizers, because when I did get one of their pop-up pages it was blank like the advertizers site may be down.