This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

>
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Question- Drop Down Menu Help/Headers?

Hello. I just have a quick question. I use a Drop Down Menu on my site, and, seeing as it's a comic, and will presumably have a lot of comics and pages, I'm just wondering if there's any possibility to add a header to every page, so, when I edit the Drop Down Menu, I only need to add something once rather than go to every single comic page and put in the choice on a constantly growing site? Or, is there no way, and I'd have to spend some time going to every page and putting in the choice on the menu?

Re: Question- Drop Down Menu Help/Headers?

You will need a moderate understanding of Javascript.

Create your menu code in javascript. Put the script in a .js file and call that file in a script tag on each page. When you make a change you just change the script file once.

Peter's answer is just fine, but I'll add a little bit more anyway.

I use a "Drop Down Menu" on my site that originally came from DynamicDrive.com, and goes under the name of AnyLink Drop Down Menu. I have done a lot of modifications, but it is set up exactly as you describe. To add a page, I only have to change one file, and all the pages see the changes.

But, exactly what you can do with a script depends heavily on how it was written. If you put "Drop Down Menu" into a google search you going to get pointers to a dozen or more scripts. Each one takes a different approach to creating a menu. Some can be used the way you want, some can not. If we knew which one you were using, we might be able to give you a more specific answer.

You should also realize that search engines do not follow links imbedded in Javascipt files and that some people disable Javascript. It is always a good idea to have a site map page, directly linked on your home page, that lists and links each and every page on your site. Then search engines can index your pages properly and users can navigate your site without the need for Javascript.

Sorry I didn't see this sooner- thanks.

My friend gave the code to me, I don't know where he got it.