This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

>
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Do the Free Counters have Popups?

In Nov 2004 we installed a free Bravenet Counter. I don't remember seeing any popups related to that counter, and in a google search it shows that in Sept 2004 popups were removed from the free counters.

A few months later we added a Bravenet Guestbook and from that point on popups happened when anyone hit the homepage. I accepted that as just one of those things.

This past week I have completely redesigned my site, and removed the guestbook (including all guestbook code from the index page) however the popups are still occurring. I removed the bravenet counter and code and no more popups. On adding the code back in, the popups are occurring again. I changed the appearance of the counters and thought I solved the problem, but it seems I've just obviously blocked them from my computer as someone else said they are getting popups on arriving at my site. This is only happening with the bravenet counter in place.

I can't find a definitive answer anywhere aside from that one annoucement in late 2004 which says popups were removed from the counters. I have been to other sites with the free counters and do not come across popups (or anything asking if I want to block the popup).

So - is there something in my code causing the problem, do I have something lingering from the guestbook.

Ideally I want to keep my Bravenet counter as I like the look of it, and I also don't want to lose my last 6 years of stats, however the popup does pose a problem and if it can't be resolved I may have to use another counter (which I already have embedded so it's got up to date stats, but I don't like the appearance as much).

Sorry for rambling, but just really trying to track down the answer to this.

Thanks

Browser: Chrome

Re: Do the Free Counters have Popups?

Well in answer to your question

YES you will have pop ups with the FREE versions of the webtools

Upgrading to the pro version WILL take out the pop ups

I have a pop up blocker so it gave me an indicator

But as said FREE VERSIONS=Pop ups Pro= NO POP UPS it

It is one of the things you get with the Upgraded version.

Thanks. I know there are in the other tools, but this was the only specific reference I could find on the web regarding with the counters - and it was a members update stating they had removed the popups from the counters. (yes I know 2004 was a long time ago)

http://www.bravenet.com/members/update.php (scroll down)

I now cannot get a popup to show on the site (I've set my popup blockers to allow) and when I opened IE (which has never been used on this computer and certainly not on that page or site) I wasn't able to get a popup, so now I'm just really confused LOL.

It's not worth the amount they want to upgrade to the premium counter, and even if I did I would lose all my stats (from what it says) so I can just use my motigo counter (which is free and has my current stats) but I don't like the look of it as much as the Bravenet one,

Guess it's a case of which is the lesser of two evils.

Issue Resolved (I think)

I owe Bravenet a HUGE apology. All these years I've been blaming my Homepage popup on the Guestbook code, then this last two days on the counter. Turns out it was the Motigo Webstats NOT the Bravenet counter that was causing the problems.

Sorry, and thanks.

Use Firefox which will block pop-ups unless you explicitly accept them.

Browser: Firefox3.0.5