Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

>
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Spam

Hello
I am getting a lot of spam mail into one of my email accounts. Can i block the senders somehow? or is there a spam mail device that bravenet recommends?

Thanks

Tony

Re: Spam

make sure you don't have your e-mail linked somewhere.

That is one way a lot of spam gets to you that you publicize your e-mail address.

Don't know if an answer in the faq's area for e-mail or not

But hopefully an answer for you.

Hi
Thanks for the reply. I have searched the FAQ's, but here isnt anything in there regarding spam. I am trying to use the "Report Spam" facility with the mail programmes itself, but im unsure if this will have any effect?

The email account is one of the main accounts for our business, so unfortunately it has to on our web site.

Was hopeful that someone from Bravenet may have a solution for me?

Thanks anyway.

Tony

There is no solution to spam but there are ways to minimise it. The addresses on spam emails are usually forged so blocking them is ineffective.

You can install filters but the stronger your filters are the more chance there is of loosing legitimate messages.

1. Use the filters installed by your email provider
2. Do not use a catch-all email address (ie any name before @yourdomain)
3. Use email forms on your website rather than mailto links
4. If you must publish the address on the web then use a script to obscure the text in the source code (this is available in free script libraries)or print it in a format that a bot won't recognise (eg use the word "at" rather than "@")

Depending on volumes you can always route your mails through a third party filtering service but that can cost.

Browser: Firefox3.0.5

Hi Peter

Many thanks for your reply. I will try to live and learn by what you have written.

Can anyone tell me if the filters in the bravenet email programme do work? i keep registering everything as spam, but am wondering if there is any point as they just keep coming?

Thanks again

Tony

Just as information to others who may be looking in? ive noticed that by changing the skin in the preferences section to "Roundcube" the whole programme seems more stable, and faster.

thought it may be of interest to others?

Tony