This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

>
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
hit counter resetting itself to count my hits after i set it not to

My main computer is fine with not counting my hits, but my laptop keeps resetting itself back to "do not ignore my hits" I have set the cookies to where it tells me to, but I am at a loss. Any help would be appreciated.

Browser: windows 7

Re: hit counter resetting itself to count my hits after i set it not to

How can I set the counter to ignore my hits to the page?
From Bravenet Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
1. Log into your Bravenet account and click on "Counter Stats" in your list of registered services
2. Click on "Manage Counters"
3. Click "Settings" below the Counter you would like to change
4. Underneath Count or Ignore Your Hits, select 'Ignore my hits to my counter'
5. Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on the "Save Settings >>" button

The Counter Stats Service will then ignore hits FROM YOUR COMPUTER. This is achieved by placing a cookie containing the id number of your counter on your computer.

This means that if you view your counter FROM SOMEONE else's computer, YOUR HIT WILL BE COUNTED. Also, if you disable cookies, or delete your cookies, your counter will begin to increment again when you visit the page upon which the counter resides.

Re: hit counter resetting itself to count my hits after i set it not to

You have to explicitly set it to ignore on every machine that you are using as it sets a cookie on that machine.
On the laptop log in to your account, reset the counter to count your visits and save, then reset again to ignore your visits.
NB if you use more than one browser on the machine you will have to repeat the process for each browser as each one will have its own set of cookies.

Your visits will be ignored for the lifetime of the cookie. You can set retention periods in your browser but firewalls and other security software may have their own settings to delete cookies as well. Every machine ends up with a different configuaration so it is impossible to give a definitive answer as to why a cookie vanishes without actually examining the installed software on the machine.

Browser: Firefox3.0.5