This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

>
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
My hit counter WILL NOT hold my settings.

My hit counter will not hold my settings no matter how many times I go in and tell it to ignore my hits. Can somebody help?

Re: My hit counter WILL NOT hold my settings.

probably counting you because you have cleared your cache/cookies and starts counting you again.

That is the thing if you go to another computer, you reset your cookies etc it will start counting your hits

This is a problem for ANY hit counter not just a Bravenet one.
The ignore setting is created by downloading a cookie to the PC in question.
1. If you use more than one machine it only applies to the machine in use when you set the cookie
2. If you use more than one browser on the same machine it will only apply to the browser that you used when you set the cookie.

this is now the web works, nothing to do with Bravenet.

Once the cookie is set there will be software on your PC that will delete it when it is considered redundant. Your browser will have a setting to do this and any other security software that you have installed may may have this as an option as well. If the cookie vanishes every time you reboot then that is because YOU have configured your machine to do it.

Browser: Firefox3.0.5

Peter - I'm interested in what you said - "If the cookie disappears every time you reboot, it's because I've configured it to do so." I don't have a clue how to check this = totally illiterate when it comes to this. How do I check my settings on this?

Sorry, no two PCs are identical. The first place to look is in your browser. In mine (Firefox) you select Tools > Options from the menu bar. In the options dialog select "Privacy". If the option is set to "Never Remember History" then cookies will always delete.

If you have a different browser then the path through the menus will be a little different and maybe using slightly different labels but you will effectively have the same options.

Any firewall software may also have options to delete cookies and there is also third party software available just for managing cookies. We can't help with that without knowing exactly what is installed on your PC.

Browser: Firefox3.0.5