Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Your correspondent in Sri Lanka...

easy,

here goes:

hikkaduwa is one more section of the almost continuous stretch of

scuzzy buildings that stretch along the galle rd from colombo.

hikkaduwa proper stretches into wewala (where the best surf break is - i.e. the peak outside ranjith's beach hut) and then into narigama.

the atmosphere is mellow - even in the water at the minute - tourists seem to be 50 % surfers and 50% older and more overweight europeans. there are lots of french, germans, israelis, english, japanese and australians for the most part and a sprinkling of other nationalities. the germans and israelis and japs keep themselves to themselves for the most part though i've met exceptions to prove the rule (except incase of the germans for some reason).

there is a post office 26 rupees to correspond to uk (about 22 p) ,

loads of bars and restaurants meals from rice and curry at 80 rupees

upwards - you shouldn't pay more than 200 rupees for a main course though a few places charge higher. food quality is ok - i'm told meat is gd too though i've avoided it. there are several banks - i understand bank of ceylon is best - i think there's an atm.

there are 2 buddhist temples one up past p.o. and one up a side turning before it.

you can get most toiletries - but sun cream is about 10-12 quid a

bottle - i wish i'd brought more of my own.

budget accommmodation is pretty basic but clean - if it doesn't look

clean - don't take it you can a get a good room with a fan (and mosssie net) at casalanka for 450 rupees downstairs and more upstairs - prices seem to go up the closer u get to the season (dec- jan). even better than casalanka is 'time n tide' but bring yr own mossie net and duct tape to fix it to the wall - this shld be 400 rupees but may go up.

breakfast good at ranjith's beach hut - eat at blue fox, sam's surfers rest (food takes fucking ages to come at sam's e.g. 1- 1.5 hours after u order it) but yr entertained from 7.30 by whatever dvd they've got in that day - i've seen: we were soldiers, battlefield earth (shite), me myself and irene, the patriot, planet of the apes etc. -- tonight is harry potter.

if u wana surf you can get gear at the A frame surf shop but i would

advise bringing yr own. they do sell boards that look ok but don't expect to buy a bodyboard here unless yr a dwarf - they've only got them up to 40 inches - you should have one that reaches yr belly button - i'm 5 ft 8 and my own board is 42 inches long. you can hire both bodyboards and stand up boards (both thrusters and mals) dunno how much though maybe 3 quid/day.

later - i'm out.

yr correspondent in sri lanka.

More on surfing and which beaches nxt time...

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

hello once again my friends (sorry - i hear that shit all day on the

beach here in equatorial sri lanka).

well it's pissing down with rain - unseasonably as it turns out and the surf is wack. also i trod dogshit all round my room last night (- so it's a gd thing i'm changing rm today i reckon).

seen a buddhist temple - avoided being blagged on numerous occasions, visited the ancient colonial town of galle and avoided being run over in hikkaduwa. no easy feat this as it often involves leaping out of the way as a bus blows past at 60 km while overtaking a truck that is overtaking a three wheeler that is overtaking a bike. clearly it also necessitates a choice between splattering oneself in dogshit or being splattered like dogshit on the front of an array of fast moving metal objects. personally the dogshit wins every time.

i wish i could tell you all that you don't know you're born sometimes but i'm afraid yr having it much harder than i am. but hey, never mind.

alan - mail me a list of questions you want answered - by the way

the 'demon king of lanka' hid someone called sita in the middle of the island - she was discovered by the monkey god hanuman - as related in the ramayana.