Return to Website

Bravenet Web Forum

none

Bravenet Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Travelling around Poland - Need info!

While we have ample information about Warsaw, Krakow, Zakopane, Wroclaw, Torun Gdansk and Poznan, information about the following is hard to find:

Kazimiers Dolny, Lublin, Zamosc, Samdonierz, Jaroslaw, Sanok, Brzeg, Jelenia Gora, Lubin/Rydzyna, Gniezno, Ladek/Lowiez, Chelmno/Bytow, Darlowo, Leba, Malbork/Frombork/Braniewo, Olstyn area, Nowogrod.

Do you think a day in each of these is too much? Not enough?

In most cases, we will see some of the area on the way to the place we are staying, e.g., Ksiaz Castle and Krezeszow Abbey on the way to Jelenia Gora.

Any information will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Re: Travelling around Poland - Need info!

Many thanks for your question. Looking at the towns

you mention I would think an entire day

would be sufficient in most cases, providing all you

want to do is just get a feel for the place with a

view to returning sometime.

(Though your itinerary sounds exhausting. I suspect

going from one town to the next day after day after

day would become a little arduous).

Of the smaller towns you list I have been to Malbork

and Frombork. The latter is a coastal village,

pleasant to walk around but perhaps not worth

much more than half a day if you have a busy

itinerary. But you should put aside the best part of

a day for Malbork: the Marienburg

Fortress is massive and historically unique. It

requires some time to walk around and get a grip on.

Of the other towns you list, a quick flick through

some of the travel guides

available suggests that Lublin and Zamosc might both

be worth a half-day at the very least but ideally

closer to a complete day.

Conceivably, you could get a first impression of

Jelenia Gora in half a day or so, though combined

with the Abbey and the castle that would make up a

day.

I'd be interested to hear how long you will be

spending in Poland and what kind of itinerary you

currently have planned.

If you're planning to cover all of those places in a

month or less, it sounds like a neck-breaking tour.

What other kinds of information are you looking for

on these towns? Just general sightseeing information

or advice on accommodation, transport etc. ?

Re: Re: Travelling around Poland - Need info!

Alan: Thanks for the quick reply. We can take as much time as we need. I have done about a year's research on various boards on the Internet and digesting Fodor's and Insight guides. Insight was particularly helpful.

We have been doing this (take a country and explore it) once a year for a long time. We always drive and enjoy this approach thoroughly.

Some of the driving days are as little as 25 miles. The worst day is 155 miles, Krakow to Czestochowa with a stop to see the castle at Brezg. Based on my research, we have scheduled 35 days for this trip.

One-nighters are pretty well interspersed with multiple night stays in Warsaw, Torun, Gdansk, Mikolajki, Krakow, and Zakopane. In some areas, we could have opted to spend a couple of nights and do daytrips from there, but I hate to backtrack. So, we move on to the next village, city, whatever.

As I indicated in my first note, I could get plenty of posters to comment on the places above with the addition of Wroclaw and Poznan. But, the other list brought very little helpful commentary.

I would be interested in any information about places to stay, eat, see, etc. Also, I have found a three star hotel in Sanok, The Hetman, which looks good on the Internet. They only list a phone/fax number and I have been unable to get an answer. Any suggestions?

Thanks for your willingness to help and if I can provide any information upon my return, I will be happy to do that.