Return to Website

Sponsor to Sponsor Recovery Forum

Welcome to our recovery family.  Please join us and post a message to our community often.

Sponsor to Sponsor Recovery Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
A View of Profanity

A View on Profanity

Most often, when I find myself focusing on the issues of others, it is a result of neither seeing nor wanting to observe issues within myself. Endlessly haunted with thoughts of how I was victimized in early recovery, I sought deep into the definition, interpretation, and understanding of dastardly "self-righteousness."

A talent was developed; I was fit and ready to expose the self-righteousness of all others in the world. Then one day something happened, as I drove off judging another for their self-righteous ways and a drop of compassion fell. It struck me to ask of myself “what experience could have driven them to that behavior?” Moment by moment, seemingly endless drops fell until I was showered with empathy and understanding, pity and patience, but above all, this downfall had washed away grit from my windows, offering much more clarity of this issue.

Minutes had passed and this storm of revelation began to subside. Soon things grew very lucid again, so apparent that I realized the negative picture I once had of this other person was merely an image of myself. My own qualities were reflected through my murkiness of my windows. Now what was I to do?

Having had such intense research and discussion in the area of self-righteousness, (IW:H&W p. 63) I posed to myself a question: "Could I suffer from the very same failing(s) for which I judged my fellow?" The answer was obvious.

The moral of this story is, recovery seemed just as much an inside job as an outside one. Nothing seemingly levels the playing field more than realizing my intolerance is as bad or worse then their vulgarity. "Live and let live" comes to mind. Just for today, my best action would be to lead by example. My assessment of others is often best kept until solicited. As stated earlier, I cannot expect the same from others, for criticism directed at me can prove beneficial if processed correctly.

Criticism, I find, be it sewn with love or laced with anger, is best viewed with temperance and objectivity. Being quick to see where others are right, remembering “humility accompanying open-mindedness is the pathway to teach-ability” has served me well. It is through this understanding and application that I retain hope to outgrow my ignorance of today.

andyaddict
Los Angeles

Re: A View of Profanity

Good stuff andy. It is good to hear from you how the heck haVE YOU been. Check out the link to my radio show coming up in May.
http://www.take12.homestead.com/index.html

Serenity For You

Monty